R9 390 graphics card lights up, but fans don't spin and isn't recognized by PC -- custom built PC

Gikka218

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi. Title pretty much says it all. This is the first PC I've built, so go easy on me. So my graphics card lights up, but the fans don't spin and my PC isn't recognizing it, the only option that shows up anywhere is intel integrated graphics. The PC turns on and works perfectly fine, but I want to be able to use my graphics card instead of integrated. Also, it's only recognizing my SSD, not my hard drive.

Thank you so much in advance!

Specs:
Intel i5 4460 processor
ASRock H97 Pro4 ATX motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 graphics card
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold fully-modular power supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8 GB RAM
Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB hard drive
Sandisk Z400s 256GB SSD
NZXT Source 210 Elite mid-tower case

Solution
In that case I'd get that mobo replaced as the pcie slot is likely faulty, if you want to be sure, get the graphics card tested elsewhere on a different mobo.

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
First off the fans on the gpu will only start spinning once the temp has reached 60 degrees Celsius, secondly have you installed the latest crimson edition driver from amd?

Gikka218

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
I tried installing the AMD Catalyst thing and that gave me the "Application Install: install package faliure!" error. I just checked my connections to my PSU and I was missing one of the connections to GPU, plugged that in and turned it on and the fans gave a little spin so I assume that's working now. However, when I plugged everything back into monitor, it's giving me the no signal error when it was working perfectly fine before. Everything's connected just fine.

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
I assume you tried installing catalyst control centre that came with the disk? If you are able, download the latest crimson edition software from the amd website and try again, as for the power issue, turn off your psu, disconnect and reconnect the 8 and 6 pin connectors, if you still can't get video input, try a different input method other than the one you are using now, dvi, hdmi and dp take your pick, let us know how you go.

Gikka218

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
The HDMI and VGA cables are plugged into the monitor and subsequent port in PC. The monitor didn't come with DVI or DP cables, should I go out and get some? I tried using a different HDMI cable I had lying around and it still doesn't work. It's weird that the display is deciding not to work at all now, when it was working before just using integrated graphics.

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
I didn't think the 390 supported vga, I could be wrong though, it sounds like your graphics card isn't powered on at all, switch back to your igpu and boot into windows, are you able to find your dgpu under the device manager at all?

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
You aren't seeing it in the device manager, but the led on the card lights up? Could be a DIA perhaps, so there's power but no video output, do you have another PC to test it on?

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
That's bizarre, maybe double check that it's sitting properly in the pcie slot? Seeing the component has power but it's not interfacing with your system, that'd be the last thing I can think of really.

Gikka218

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
It's sitting correctly. When I have only the 8 pin plugged in, the computer uses integrated graphics and doesn't recognize the 390. When I have both 6 pin and 8 pin plugged in, the fans spin and the computer can start up but the display won't work. Thanks so much for trying to help me work through this.

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Maybe try disabling the igpu in the bios and see if it helps. If not, where did you purchase the card from? If it was from a physical shop, I'm sure you could ask them to test it for you.

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
It is also possible that your mobo may have a dead first pcie slot, if you have the card in the first slot now, give the second one a try and see if it will work.

Gikka218

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
I bought everything online. The primary graphics adapter option in BIOS was already set to PCI Express, which is what I assume it should be set to? I don't think I have a second pcie slot :/

Kane86

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
In that case I'd get that mobo replaced as the pcie slot is likely faulty, if you want to be sure, get the graphics card tested elsewhere on a different mobo.

Solution

Neur0nauT

Admirable

You were seeing the iGPU display before because you were probably plugged into the motherboards VGA input. Once you plug your display into the R9 390 and boot, it should at least show the post screen before the OS loading screen. If it shows no display, then you have a hardware problem either with the motherboard, or the graphics card.

I would suggest you use your iGPU display, goto the ASRock website and update the motherboard bios to the latest version. If you cannot even get into the bios when using the R9 390 card, then you will have to get it tested on another system to rule out a faulty motherboard, or else contact Gigabyte support to see about getting the card RMA'ed.