What does 100% CPU usage means?

jejemon1012

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
Is my CPU bottlenecking? Because I only have a core 2 duo processor and I have a gtx 560. When I play some games my CPU usage goes 100% and my fps in games is really bad.

Solution
100% can be completely normal when running a game if the game is programmed efficiently enough to fully use two cores.

What you need to double check is your GPU. Tools like GPU-Z can tell you your GPU usage, it should be under 100% because if it's at 100% then your frame-rate is going to drop.

If you aren't running a game then something is having problems, you can see what is using the CPU in Task Manager. It's not uncommon for Windows to have an issue and one of it's processes will start maxing out the processor.
It means the CPU is running at full capacity. Its similar to full throttle on a car where you're getting every ounce of performance out of it. This is not bad normally, but I'd compare your CPU and Graphics Card to a 4 Cylinder car trying to pull a boat.

You need to upgrade both your CPU and Graphics Card to get decent FPS in games released in the last 4 years.

jejemon1012

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

How many percent does a normal CPU should be when playing?

captainshifty

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Try not to go so much on if your cpu is running at 100% go by if youre getting a decent FPS. That might be 24 for you or maybe you aim for 60 thats your choice. As long as your cpu is not running too hot from being at 100% theres nothing wrong about it.

Fulano5321

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
100% can be completely normal when running a game if the game is programmed efficiently enough to fully use two cores.

What you need to double check is your GPU. Tools like GPU-Z can tell you your GPU usage, it should be under 100% because if it's at 100% then your frame-rate is going to drop.

If you aren't running a game then something is having problems, you can see what is using the CPU in Task Manager. It's not uncommon for Windows to have an issue and one of it's processes will start maxing out the processor.

Solution