FX-6300 base clock overclocking; questions & concerns

Commander Matt

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Backstory:
I've gotten a stable OC with my FX-6300 at 3.8GHz (I suspect VRM throttling is why I can't get higher; gonna ziptie-hang the stock cooler to blow on the VRM heatsink later tonight), but that simply isn't enough! More! Must have more! GRIMBO! GRIMBO BRING ME MORE!

Okay, I'll stop.
That rumor-like thing about some people being able to achieve lower/cooler/higher OC's with base clock tinkering piqued my interest; I have an AsRock 990FX Extreme3, and I think its 4+1 phase might be getting stressed out, so the lower the voltage, the better.
Now, I've done my homework. At least, most of it. I know pretty much everything in the system is base-clock-based (I would've thought this would be more of Intel's thing, not AMD, since Intel has the Northbridge(?) in their CPU). I've already tinkered a bit with base clock (okay, maybe "a bit" is a bit understating it), and as such, I've discovered some of the consequences ("Oh hello Mr. BSOD. Back for a visit are ye? That's the third time today!") I've done my best to keep the NB, HT, and RAM speeds at their stock/stable speeds (as well as the CPU speed) but it doesn't seem to work out very well.
My question(s):
What exactly does the base clock affect? I know it affects the RAM speed, NB speed, SB speed, and (obviously) the CPU speed. Is there anything else?
What's the best way to keep everything stable during base clock OCing? My RAM speeds go up and over the rated 1600, and I can't unlink them (or, can't find a way to), so would just going with the flow in this case help?
For kicks and giggles, I decided to rev the clock speed up to 300 MHz and lower everything else's multipliers. Suffice to say my computer didn't approve of that. Why not? Why wouldn't a 500MHz core clock work (assume every other part's speeds were okay)?
Is there anything special about base clock overclocking I need to watch out for?
My concerns:
My main concern is my RAM. Because I can't unlink the RAM speeds from the base clock, the RAM speeds will not be standard (e.g., 1333, 1600, etc.) and more often than not, they will be above their spec'd speed. Is there anything I can do to help them not die on me? Would underclocking them be safer? Should I increase/decrease the voltage on them? And while we're on the topic of RAM, what's preventing me from just lowering the timings for a (theoretical) faster latency speed?

Another concern of mine is the NB/SB speeds (and anything else affected by the base clock). Is having a lower multiplier going to harm them? Will having an odd speed on them hurt them?

Will any base clock overclocking directly affect the stuff I have in my PCIe slots?
My specs:
Mobo: AsRock 990FX Extreme3
CPU: FX-6300
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ares, 1600 CAS 9
PSU: Silverstone Strider S Gold 850W
Things in PCIe slots: Asus Xonar DSX, R9 380 (OC'd with MSI AB)

Thank you for reading my very long thread, any help is appreciated! :)

Solution
There are different ways to go about overclocking... Most if not all will tell you to use the multiplier only but I prefer to use a combination of multiplier and memory. When overclocking the memory you're basically overclocking everything at once which can cause instability in some cases. I would suggest experimenting and see which way works best for you because sometimes you can reach a speed one way but not the other. An example would be say you want to hit 4Ghz and you're unstable using a 20x200 multiplier... you maybe able to us 18*223 to reach the same goal and in some cases go even higher. I'm currently running at 4.5Ghz which i could have done with 22.5*200 but I prefer to use 20*225 for various reasons that I don't want to go...

neieus

Distinguished
There are different ways to go about overclocking... Most if not all will tell you to use the multiplier only but I prefer to use a combination of multiplier and memory. When overclocking the memory you're basically overclocking everything at once which can cause instability in some cases. I would suggest experimenting and see which way works best for you because sometimes you can reach a speed one way but not the other. An example would be say you want to hit 4Ghz and you're unstable using a 20x200 multiplier... you maybe able to us 18*223 to reach the same goal and in some cases go even higher. I'm currently running at 4.5Ghz which i could have done with 22.5*200 but I prefer to use 20*225 for various reasons that I don't want to go into. The thing is no matter which way you go about it the performance ends up being nearly the same depending on the test you're running.

Solution