Solved

Reliable Z97 Motherboard Reccomendation

Reliable Z97 Motherboard Recommendation

I’m planning a new build with an i7-4790k CPU and I need to select a motherboard. I want to have M.2 for my SSD and I’d like to have USB 3.1 but I guess I’d be ok adding a card if I need that functionality in the future. I don’t care about SLI.

I’ve read a lot of reviews online, but the thing that really threw me off was the low ratings and number of DOA & sudden failures of Z97 boards reported on Newegg. So my number one concern is that the board is going to be reliable. Budget and gaming features are not my top concerns. I’m doing this build because my last motherboard died suddenly, and I don’t feel like going through that again.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

-Aster
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reliable z97 motherboard reccomendation
  1. Gigabyte's GA-Z97X-UD5H is supposed to be rock solid from what I've heard. Search for something with a thick PCB and solid capacitors and you'll be fine. MSI also makes a really good military spec Z97 board which might bear looking into.
  2. aster said:
    Reliable Z97 Motherboard Recommendation

    I’m planning a new build with an i7-4790k CPU and I need to select a motherboard. I want to have M.2 for my SSD and I’d like to have USB 3.1 but I guess I’d be ok adding a card if I need that functionality in the future. I don’t care about SLI.

    I’ve read a lot of reviews online, but the thing that really threw me off was the low ratings and number of DOA & sudden failures of Z97 boards reported on Newegg. So my number one concern is that the board is going to be reliable. Budget and gaming features are not my top concerns. I’m doing this build because my last motherboard died suddenly, and I don’t feel like going through that again.

    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

    -Aster


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($163.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $163.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-15 13:37 EST-0500
  3. speach said:
    Gigabyte's GA-Z97X-UD5H is supposed to be rock solid from what I've heard. Search for something with a thick PCB and solid capacitors and you'll be fine. MSI also makes a really good military spec Z97 board which might bear looking into.


    I looked at the Gigabyte's GA-Z97X-UD5H and it seemed ok albeit no USB 3.1, but it's not available on either newegg or amazon may have been discontinued.
  4. Best answer
    I own the ASUS I linked above , no 3.1 , but a solid board.
  5. aster said:
    speach said:
    Gigabyte's GA-Z97X-UD5H is supposed to be rock solid from what I've heard. Search for something with a thick PCB and solid capacitors and you'll be fine. MSI also makes a really good military spec Z97 board which might bear looking into.


    I looked at the Gigabyte's GA-Z97X-UD5H and it seemed ok albeit no USB 3.1, but it's not available on either newegg or amazon may have been discontinued.


    Maybe give the UD3H a try. Also highly recommended in terms of reliability. Your best bet will always be to get a USB 3.1 add on card as onboard 3.1 will most likely be tacked on and less reliable than a stand alone PCI-E card (at least when it comes to the Z97 chipset).
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel i7 Motherboards New Build