FX 8320 went to maximum of 80.0*C when playing Assassin's Creed Unity on ultra high

Victor0317

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
Using NZXT Respire T40 cooler right now, FX 8320 is at 3.5GHz as it supposed to be. So is this normal? Cuz i'm about to overclock this FX 8320 with Corsair H80i. Just ordered it today, it'll be here next week. I've done some research and people been overclocking FX 8320 with NZXT T40 but mine is making it hot as hell infernal. So can i overclock it with Corsair H80i, and why can other people overclock FX 8320 with NZXT T40 but i can't? And can i overclock my FX 8320 with Corsair H80i? Please explain me about this chaos, thanks very much

boju

Titan
Ambassador
NZXT is decent budget cooler, is up there with the Hyper 212 but the NZXT fans don't spin fast enough but can get better 120mm fans to improve cooling but will be running full bore as probably what these guys you seen with overclocks have done. Also depends how much thermal paste was applied too can be a factor, too much can have undesirable results keeping layer thin as possible but not too thin though.

Without removing/applying paste several times over to get best results (If you don't have time for this), stick to the numerous good tips found on the net on how to apply. Either thin line over a certain area of the cpu or use the pea drop method and let the pressure squeeze it out. Those would be the most common techniques, i did it slightly different though using the pea drop method but used glad rap on finger to spread it evenly all over cpu without leaving finger print lines. I've seen some footprint pictures from a line or pea relying only on pressure and i've never really like the look of it, doesn't really cover the cpu completely. More hot surface transferring heat is better imo.

H80i will much improvement.

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015

Well...
Max safe core temp recommended by AMD is 62 degrees celsius.
Maximum socket temperature is 70 degrees celsius.

Maybe the Thermal Paste isn't properly applied between the cooler and the CPU? It might also be that the Airflow in the case isn't good, but 80 degrees is really high. I don't think you damaged the CPU, but it's not normal. You shouldn't go above 70C ever, let alone when gaming. You might want to wait until you get the new cooler before you play any game that would cause a ''heavy'' load on the CPU.

For the overclock, wait until the H80i arrives, install it and check your temperatures. Use something like Hardware Monitor64 to keep an eye on the temperature while you run a stress test like Prime95.

It should stay below 70, if it doesn't, your CPU might have a problem, because it's not overclocked.

Victor0317

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
The problem must be the airflow isn't good... I have no front fan though. So that should be the airflow problem. I'll wait until the H80i arrive and install it, cuz it'll pull the air out of the case through rear fan, should not left any heat in the case anymore, will that helps? i'm thinking about get 2 more fans for the front fan, my case is antec 1100 v2 so it doesn't have front fan and side fan included, i got the 2 side fans already but the front fan should be the problem. Also, NZXT Respire T40 is pushing the air up to the top fan, and between the heat sink and the top fan has a really big distance, and it flows not really good (top fan is pushing air out of the case). I think the top fan only helped a little

Next friday, the H80i will arrive, i'll see if that helps

The H80i isn't going to cool a lot better than a Hyper 212 EVO as its waterblock is just too small. If you can exchange it for a H100i GTX that would be a good upgrade for cooling. Really another great option would be NH D15 if it will fit in your case, this will give you cooling just under a H100i (much better then H80i), at a better price and without the problems always present with a waterblock (pump issues, coolant leak..). I would highly recommend exchanging the H80i if possible for the NH D15 (if it will fit) or H100i. The H80i really isn't that much of an improvement over what you currently have as the waterblock is just too small. If you have to stick with the H80i you can improve its cooling capabilities by adding a second fan in a push pull configuration on the waterblock.

As far as your NZXT T40 goes, you may have dust / dirt acculmination on the fans and heat sink - clean it out with compressed air. You may also have dried out thermal paste or improperly applied thermal paste - separate your heat sink from the processor, clean the processor with rubbing alcohol, reapply thermal paste using the pea method. Also the results others are posting could be due to having a push pull configuration on their NZXT T40 (2 fans). I had a Hyper 212 EVO on my FX 8370 and hit max stable overclock of 4.7Ghz but I also had 2 Delta cooling fans @ 3400 RPMs in a push pull configuration. Since then I've moved on to the H100i GTX and have the Delta fans and stock fans in a push pull on the waterblock allowing me to hit 5.5Ghz @ 1.55V.

Adding addition case fans is always a good idea. It will not only help your processor, but will help all your other components as well (most motherboards don't have heat sinks on their vital parts so extra case fans help a lot, as well it will help your GPU keep cooler). I have a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 (military grade with heat sinks on everything) but I still have 8 120mm case fans keeping great air flow throughout my case. You want to ensure that the front fans, side fans, and bottom fans are all pulling air in and that your rear fan and top fans are pushing air out, that way you have the best possible air flow.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
H100i dual fan, could put it front of the case behind two front fans but since 80i has already been ordered this config should do;

81bbb6e4_DPP_0072.jpeg

Will need front fan though to keep the air flowing in the same direction as the radiator fan for better results comparing to side fans clashing directions, air is stubborn just doesn't simply take a left turn so easily if you had side fans only :).

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015

I can hardly see the airflow being the only problem here. You might want to run Prime95 while monitoring your CPU temperature with a program like HWmonitor64, but you MUST stop the test immediately if you see the temperature go above 75 degrees celcius.

Also, did you order the H80i or the H80i GT? The latter has a bigger radiator and offers increased performances. I disagree with what Redneck said, depending on the situation, a H80i can make a huge difference, since it comes with 2 fans that you can set in a pull/push pattern. This will help your entire build's airflow if it's already as bad as it seems to be.

His best bet would still be to return / exchange the H80i. Don't even bother taking it out of its boxing, just send it back for exchange. Its waterblock is so small that in most testing I've done the Hyper 212 EVO actually has better cooling capabilities. The best "bang for your buck" in high end cooling is the NH-D15, however it is large and won't fit in a lot of cases. If the NH-D15 won't fit (or work with the RAM height) the next best bet is to exchange it for the H100i. Really keeping the H80i is paying for an upgrade that's hardly an upgrade at all. If of course the OP can't exchange it and has to keep it the best thing is to set it up with 2 performance cooling fans in a push pull configuration. If noise is a big factor then Noctua fans are the best bet, if noise isn't a problem then I highly recommend Delta fans @ at least 3400 RPM. The two delta fans I have don't really make that much noise and its nice knowing when your processor is ramping up or under stress as you can hear the cooling fans rev up to 3400 RPMs.

Stop the test if it goes above 62 C. 70C is the max thermal for FX processors and at 70C or above you can do damage to your processor. Also if his system can't run Assassin's Creed Unity without going to 80C then it sure as heck can't handle Prime 95 for even a minute of testing. Your begging for a melt down running Prime 95 on a system that can't handle playing Assassin's Creed. Also I have build many systems, both Intel and AMD, using all available CPU heat sinks you can imagine (I have a business building custom computers and repairing computers). The H80i simply has too small of a waterblock to make any improvement over the Hyper 212 EVO, in fact a 212 EVO with push pull configuration has better cooling ability. It may have a slight improvement over the NZXT T40, but its not going to be much, it won't be a game changer. By even trying it you may not be able to exchange it for a cooling solution that would actually be a real upgrade.

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015

Did you think about the fact that he may be on a budget? I know the Hyper212 EVO is an amazing CPU cooler for the price, but the NZXT T40 has very varied reviews depending on the user. It seems to really perform incredibly poorly when the case has little to no other fans helping it out. A stock FX-8320 with the stock cooler doesn't go as high as 70C when playing AC Unity, so he must have a problem somewhere, and there's no way Airflow is the only issue. It's one for sure, but poorly applied thermal paste and possibly defective cooler unit are very likely options. I forgot a part of the message, I wanted him to check how long it takes until the CPU reaches a higher temperature. If it goes straight to 60-70+, then something is definitely wrong with the set-up. I'm personally very conservative with my CPU temps, so I wouldn't use a computer that CAN reach 80C in any situation, let alone game on it. 75C is dangerous, but not if it's stopped within a couple of seconds.

But listen to him, stop it at 62C to be safe, don't risk it. The FX-8320 was born overheating, so it's not surprising that you get high temperatures, but 80C is ridiculously high, even if you were stress testing.

How hot is the room its in? A room temperature that's too hot may also be PART of the problem, although it doesn't explain the max temp.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ordering online is a pain in a monkey's bum and then to return only to wait longer lol. I do agree, 80i is not the best but it will still do the job, if the price and inconvenience can justify sending it back then do so. 100i being a 2 sided fan looks like to be an effort installing front of his case though, probably doable but really need to look into it.

I always take budget into consideration, which is why I said his best bet would be NH-D15 (or D14) if it will fit as it is within the same price bracket of the H80i, but will cool at a whole different level then the H80i is capable of. If that won't fit the best upgrade would be to exchange it for the H100i, about a $20 difference, that would offer huge cooling over the H80i.

I do agree that there is another underlying problem with your rig to be heating up that bad. Either your cooling fan isn't cooling right or thermal paste needs reapplied or system needs a good cleaning with compressed air are the most common problems. Another thing to check (although with this huge temp increase) is for programs running in the background, PUPs and malware that could keep the CPU overburdened. Run a full custom scan of your primary HDD with Malwarebytes to make sure you have no malware or PUPs. Check Task Manager for an app using a lot of CPU or RAM when system is only idling. Those would be good places to start with.

What I really am concerned about for the OP is with his system running at 80C he may have already done damage to the processor. The maximum thermal limit for FX processors is 70C, its luck of the draw if the processor came out of it without damage. I never allow my FX to go past 60C no matter how hard I'm trying to push an overclock.

I hate ordering online. I travel over 100mi to get to the closest MicroCenter to avoid shopping online, its a major pain when you have a problem and need to exchange and return. Mounting the H100i is doable, will have to be careful during installation, but will provide a lot better cooling for an extra $20. The OPs best bet for better cooling at no extra cost is to go to NH-D14. I just checked and it will fit in his case (the 1100 supports up to 170mm and the NH-D14 is 160mm), the only variable is if he has high finned RAM. The NH-D14 is $10 cheaper than the H80i and has much better cooling. The NH-D14 cools almost as well as the H100i, without the worry about pump failure and coolant leaks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Noctua D14 would have been a good choice, cheaper and less fuss. The fan on memory side can be raised simply enough as it's only held in by clips on the heatsink fins, got plenty of play there without upsetting the air flow.

I use it on 2600k, been running fine for a few years now very happy with it.

Victor0317

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
Ok i usually open the windows while playing video games, since outside is cold, it keeps my cpu as hot as 72.1*C maximum, idle at below 21 most of the time, using browsers will pop it up to 47 and then goes don't immediately. i'm planning on overclock my cpu to handle games that even more "graphical". I'm ordering Corsair H80i GT, newer model since H80i is not available anymore. Playing league of legends at 58.4C at the maximum temp

Victor0317

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
I was playing good graphics game in my bedroom, so it's pretty hot tbh, i covered the air conditioner and open the windows, it keeps my pc cool. Please tell me H80i will help me deal with the hotass cpu and even overclock it to 4.5GHz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
yea 2x 120mm Noctua intake fans, will need air flowing in that direction regardless. Remove your side fans it will upset the air stream. Go for the two intakes and then out the rear and top.

If the h80i radiator reaches which it should, put it at the front of the case top or lower doesn't matter and only get 1 Noctua there to help balance air flow between the rear and top case fans. That way the rad is receiving coldest air from the front of the case instead of exhausted air already moving toward the rear fan.

As stated previously, if you can cancel the order and get the NH-D14 instead you will be a lot better off. If its already on its way you would be a lot better off exchanging it for the NH-D14. The H80i gt is still a small waterbox when compared to upper end water coolers. The NH-D14 outperforms the H80i GT easily. If you bound and determined to keep the H80i GT then do yourself a favor and get some fans that will actually keep the waterblock cool:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706036.
However at the price of two of those fans and the H80i GT your above the cost of H100i and way above the cost of the NH-D14.

You should be able to hit 4.5Ghz with the H80i GT and good quality fans in a push / pull configuration depending on how high you have to set your Vcore to get stable @ 4.5Ghz.