1155 cpu's, buying used or 2nd gen?

steven bowen

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Motherboard asus P8z77-v LK
CPU: I3 3220 3.30
Memory: Kingston 8 Gb
Video Card: EVGA Geforce gtx 650 2 Gb

I'm just wondering about cost effective upgrades.

Is it good to buy a used cpu? have you bought them before with no problems? I'd like to get the best cpu I can for this system but the i7 3770k is expensive.

what about the 2nd gen i7 or i5? I hate the thought of downgrading from 3rd gen to 2nd gen but what to I know.

I don't know if overclocking would make that much of a difference. I don't see the point in getting a cpu that can't be overclocked since I have a motherboard that can ya know.

Solution
If your usage is for gaming, I would look for a i5-3570K. It will run on your motherboard.
Most games use only 2-3 threads, so the extra hyperthreads of a i7 will go largely unused.

Yes, overclocking will make a big difference. It is the single thread core speed that matters most.

You will want a aftermarket cooler. Air with a 120mm fan is fine. Cryorig H7 for example.

I would have no problem buying a used i5-3570K on ebay from a seller with good feedback. Pay with paypal. ebay will resolve any disputes in favor of the buyer.
If your usage is for gaming, I would look for a i5-3570K. It will run on your motherboard.
Most games use only 2-3 threads, so the extra hyperthreads of a i7 will go largely unused.

Yes, overclocking will make a big difference. It is the single thread core speed that matters most.

You will want a aftermarket cooler. Air with a 120mm fan is fine. Cryorig H7 for example.

I would have no problem buying a used i5-3570K on ebay from a seller with good feedback. Pay with paypal. ebay will resolve any disputes in favor of the buyer.

Solution

steven bowen

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
thanks for your answers, with that in mind. Would liquid cooling prolong the life of my system? house is pretty dusty.

would an aftermarket cooler also help the gpu from getting to hot? currently my gpu has been getting to 170 F or higher.

Would the directx 12 update improve performance of an i7? it's about $100 difference used. I'd just like to have the best computer I can out of this system.

So far the i5 is around $200 the i7 is around $300. which those prices aren't bad at all when compared to buying them new the prices are doubled.

Golcsae13

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
You can try eBay. Buy from a reputable seller with a lot of positive reviews (95%+). Look for sales that have warranties and return options in case potential problems. Usually eBay will have some sort of protection. I bought a couple of used CPUs on eBay and they been working fine for over 2 years.

An after market cpu cooler / liquid cooler would be nice to help overclocking. It's not necessary for the gpu. Gpus are fine at 80C (176F).