i7-4790 AIO/CPU cooler suggestions

Dec 20, 2014
Hi guys, as the title says, can you suggest/recommend a budget friendly & efficient aio/traditional aftermarket cpu cooler for i7-4790? CPU is non-k and I don't plan any overclocking. $120 budget if AIO and $30-$45 for aftermarket cpu cooler. Thanks!

My experience:
The reason why I am considering an aftermarket cooler is because when I play Dota2(1080p, best looking settings), temps gone too high and reached 98c(PC case enclosed). When PC case is open and a fan is directly blowing on it, cpu temps when playing dota2 is a bit fine, 60c-75c as I've remembered. CS:GO(1080p, max settings), 70c-85c(PC case open. Never tried to close it and play the particular game because the temps are already high granting that the pc chassis is already open). Every time I will play, I leave the pc chassis open because of what I have encountered regarding the temps when it is enclosed. Cpu cores idle temps are 36-41c.

PS:
PC chassis ventilation issue is not yet addressed because I'm still deciding what cooler I will choose for the processor(AIO or aftermarket cpu cooler). So yeah that's why I leave the chassis open every time I will play. Im from PH and the location of my pc at our home is not a problem because it has its own space and the environment has good ventilation. I want to take good care of my pc components, specially the processor, for it to last long and get the best of it. I am reluctant at first but later on became really convinced to opt for an aftermarket cooler after experiencing 98c. Even though it is Intel, it is not an optimal temperature range right? Thanks in advance for the help. Really appreciate it! :)

PPS:
What I meant by pc chassis open is only the one side panel of the chassis is open, not whole.

IMG_20151209_234721.jpg

Solution
If you don't plan to overclock, or even if you plan to do a moderate overclock, either of these would be about the best choices out there for the money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $34.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 00:48 EST-0500

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $46.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 00:49...
If you don't plan to overclock, or even if you plan to do a moderate overclock, either of these would be about the best choices out there for the money.

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $34.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 00:48 EST-0500

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $46.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 00:49 EST-0500

If you really want an AIO, which you really don't need and will be louder than an aftermarket air cooler in any case, then this is probably about the best choice currently going, again, for the price. It also recently was about the best performing unit in it's class. There were some better Cooler Master units for a bit less, in the same class, but those and many other cooler models have pretty well dried up since the ruling on the Asetek lawsuit over pump patent infringement.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $103.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 00:54 EST-0500

The ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L is supposed to be better, and cheaper, but isn't available here yet. All of the Swiftech units are pretty darn good too.

Solution
I would get either Cryorig. I use the Cooler Master Evo 212 Hyper ($21.99-$30.00 USD) and my temps on an i5-2500k over clocked to 4.6GHz Turbo never have exceeded 65°C under stress testing.

The Corsair H100i adds un-needed complexity, cost and noise for your setup.

I agree, as I said earlier. There really is only one good reason to use an AIO on that build, and that's if it's for aesthetic reasons. It will cost more, make more noise and probably won't cool that much better than the H5 for a system that isn't overclocked. And actually, anything beyond the H5 is really not going to make any difference because it's never going to get that hot anyhow.