R9 380: 2GB MSI Gaming or 4GB Powercolor PCS+?

Mr Graywolf

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
Hey there folks! I'm building my first PC and I have been reading about it through the past couple months, and now I'm decided I want a R9 380 as my GPU.

The thing is: PC parts' prices in my country are pretty high, so I have to wait a bit for sales to appear. But right now I found a good deal on the two models in the title of the post (both at practically the same price), and was wondering which one is better.

I would just stick with the MSI Gaming because of the brand and cool features, but thought I could hear a few opinions whether or not the 4GB on the Powercolor PCS+ would actually be a better deal... this brand bugs me though, since I hear a lot of great and terrible opinions regarding their r9 380 model.

Well, that's it. Thanks in advance for your time and help! Hope you folks can clear my mind on this.

Solution
Absolutely nothing wrong with powercolor at all mate as a brand - if that 4gb card is a similar price to the 2gb MSI then it would be foolish not to go for it.

Looking at it from the power color site & from reviews the cooler , fans ,shroud & backplate look to be identical to the turboduo 280x.
If it is then I can tell you now (owning that card personally & using a lot of other models) that on build quality its only beaten by the Asus strix & even then is a very close call.

Mr Graywolf

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016

Thanks for the reply! But do you think the 4GB is worth in opposition to a better brand and the unique features of the Gaming GPU version?
Or perhaps Powercolor is not as bad as I think?

Absolutely nothing wrong with powercolor at all mate as a brand - if that 4gb card is a similar price to the 2gb MSI then it would be foolish not to go for it.

Looking at it from the power color site & from reviews the cooler , fans ,shroud & backplate look to be identical to the turboduo 280x.
If it is then I can tell you now (owning that card personally & using a lot of other models) that on build quality its only beaten by the Asus strix & even then is a very close call.

Solution

EAJuggalo

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
We're already at the point where games are benefiting greatly from 4GB of VRAM. I wouldn't take the step backwards and limit yourself, I think we'll start seeing games in the near future that require 4GB to play. If the brand is that big a deal to you, wait and find a 4GB version on a brand you feel more comfortable with.

king3pj

Distinguished
I agree with everyone else here. I do not think it makes sense to buy any 2GB card in 2016 unless you are going with a budget option like a 750Ti or 950 and are willing to play at lower settings. Many modern, AAA games use more than 2GB of VRAM at 1080p.

HammyNam

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

I have a powercolor 7870 ghz edition and it's working great. Fans are pretty silent too.

The MSI gaming model is in no way better than the power color card mate - there are no extra features , you're paying extra for the branding - nothing more.
I had a power color 7870 myst xt before the 280x - I dont own it anymore , but I sold it to a friend & its still doing a grand job at 3 years old.

Power color make good cards mate , plain & simple.