1866 mhz RAM on a motherboard that only supports 1600mhz?

G

I have Hyper X 1866 MHz RAM and was wondering if it would work on a MSI B85M-E45 Micro ATX motherboard. I have seen some posts saying that it will just work at 1600 Mhz, it this true with my motherboard?

Solution
Basically all DDR3 RAM has a default 1333mhz SPD speed so it will work on any board. So yes it should work fine and will likely be running at 1333mhz, providing that board allows you to manually change the RAM speed you should be able to set it to 1600mhz at auto settings without too much issue but I can't guarantee that. You will have to test. You basically will not be able to use the XMP profile.

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Basically all DDR3 RAM has a default 1333mhz SPD speed so it will work on any board. So yes it should work fine and will likely be running at 1333mhz, providing that board allows you to manually change the RAM speed you should be able to set it to 1600mhz at auto settings without too much issue but I can't guarantee that. You will have to test. You basically will not be able to use the XMP profile.

Solution