FX 8320, R9 290 - Low framerates on BF4

Dizzlepop11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
I've recently upgraded my CPU from a Phenom II x4 820 to an FX 8320. I"m getting rather low framerates with Battlefield 4, and only get good framerates at high settings. Many other people seem to be getting high framerates with my same specs, on ultra settings. Can anyone tell me what I can do to solve this?

Here's a video of someone with the same specs getting higher framerates - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQE7emzac2o
Specs -
Asus R9 290 DirectCU II OC
FX 8320 3.5ghz
12gb DDR3 1600mhz

Solution
There's a differnce between lots of wattage and quality.You don't need 850watts and the CX line isn't that great (being mild).A good 650watt psu would run that build,if you want abit more try to get the EVGA B2 750watt if available.
To keep it under a certain budget and not knowing what's available to you,
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/deepcool-power-supply-dq750st,evga-power-supply-110b20750vr,evga-power-supply-110b20850v1,evga-power-supply-210gq0650/

Well only read a review about it (CX850M) on jonnyGuru after this and it doesn't seem to be that bad so if you can't swap it should you be fine,but only time will tell.

Dizzlepop11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

The motherboard is a GA-990FX-Gaming, and I don't think it's the problem. It's a rather new motherboard, and shouldn't be throttling the CPU.

Dizzlepop11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

I am running Mantle, but the cores aren't parked and I updated drivers.

Dizzlepop11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

Yep. The CPU runs super cool even when overclocked to 4.1ghz. When idle it's around 10 - 30 degrees celsius, and under load it never gets past 60 degrees. The GPU on the other hand gets up to 90 and sometimes 100 degrees celsius. Can GPU temps affect performance that much though?

Dizzlepop11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

I actually just put in 12gb. I have two 4gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance, and two 2gb sticks of something else.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Ceck temps wit AMD's own overclocking tool AMD OverDrive.

that's way to high,i would want to see temps under 85°C,lower would be better. See what you can do about that. Is it a reference design? Maybe change the cooler then or add a side fan or fan at the bottom of the case if possible.

Dizzlepop11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

AMD Overdrive says the same thing that CPUID says, and it's staying very cool even under load. The GPU is the standard Asus cooler, and I've been trying to remove it since I got it to reapply thermal paste, but the screws stripped easily and I can't get it off. I have one more question however. Can a bad power supply affect performance? Just today I was playing a game and it began to click, which I heard is a bad sign.

Dying_Flogmeat

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
The same was happening to me with an 8350 and 280x. It turns out, after getting a new motherboard, the gsme ran completely fine.

The problem with the old motherboard was dust clogging up a large section of the PCIe slot. Take a close look to make sure this isn't the case, and also make sure that your GPU is connected via a full PCIe slot, as opposed to one thst looks like it is full length, but only has around half the ammount of pins upon closer inspection.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

The clicking sound might be the bearings of the fan,if it still works are you fine,does it stop might the psu get too hot on the inside and when that happens do you have problems.

Dizzlepop11

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

It would only happen when I'm gaming. I needed an upgrade badly anyway, so I picked up a CX850M, as well as buying 2 more 4gb sticks to replace the 2gb ones. Considering all that's happened so far, I think I'll wait for the new GPUs that NVidia and AMD are rolling out later this year, and purchase a new one.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
There's a differnce between lots of wattage and quality.You don't need 850watts and the CX line isn't that great (being mild).A good 650watt psu would run that build,if you want abit more try to get the EVGA B2 750watt if available.
To keep it under a certain budget and not knowing what's available to you,
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/deepcool-power-supply-dq750st,evga-power-supply-110b20750vr,evga-power-supply-110b20850v1,evga-power-supply-210gq0650/

Well only read a review about it (CX850M) on jonnyGuru after this and it doesn't seem to be that bad so if you can't swap it should you be fine,but only time will tell.

Solution