New AC 1200 Network Running At Only 585 Mbps Instead of 867 Mbps

rob_mcg125

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
As the title says, I purchased new gear today and on 2 PC's with USB network adapters the windows link speed is only showing 585.0 Mbps. At the bottom of my post are some pics of the network info and links and more details of my new gear.

So I am curious if anyone knows why the cards are not connecting at 867Mbps like stated on the AC1200 specs. Maybe I am just not setting something correctly in the router? I did force the router to use 80MHz channel bandwidth only for the 5 GHz radio.

Also is there any point in upgrading to AC 1600-1750 if you are not going to get a matching network card using the same standards? It seems anything over AC1200 in adapters is pretty nuts for price when you need 3-4 adapters for your network.

I would assume unless you are rich, the advantages for having a 1600+ router and 1200 cards would be to allow more overall network throughput but still limited per machine.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Why do I need higher network throughput? I watch HD 5GB movies over the network pretty often in house. From my living room pc to my laptop. My old N300 network lagged all the time with files over the size of 1.5-2GB.

(The links goto microcenter.com, where I purchased them)
Here is my router - Tenda FH1201 High Power Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Router

Here is my Network USB Adapters - Tenda W1200U Dual Band Wireless AC1200 USB Adapter

Windows Connection
971wr6.jpg

Xirrus WiFi Inspector
2rmtis4.jpg

Tenda Configuration Basic
6548xi.jpg

Tenda Configuration Advanced
sorckn.jpg

On my living room mini PC the speeds burst to 867Mbps but they bounce between this and 585Mbps although it is using a wifi card built onto the mobo with a attached antenna, Similar to a laptop. Which makes me wonder if it is a USB vs PCI throughput issue?
2wembnd.jpg

Solution

It's hard to say without testing - the UNII 2e channels (100-140) are most likely to be unused, but may not be supported by all your devices. The UNII 3 channels (149-161) may (but not necessarily) allow...

rob_mcg125

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Yes I did go with the cheap setup. Last time i upgraded 3 years ago. I splurged like always and got the Asus N53 N600 and had issues with the router pretty much since receiving it. The router had serious issues using the 5Ghz band and eventually lead to me disabling it until a firmware fixed was released but it never worked right anyways.

Figured since I was experimenting with AC routers I would stay cheap for now. I can always return it and spend more so.

Not knocking you for getting a cheap router just would have been surprised if for that price it had given the full theoretical speed 585 should be absolutely enough for most home networks any way mine only reports 144 in Windows and got no issues at all with my network

rob_mcg125

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

144 reported in windows is Wireless N using a 20MHz channel. You should be able to get that to 300 by setting 40Mhz bandwidth in your router. If it has that option available and assuming your wifi adapter is capable of a higher speed then 144mbps.

867 is not a theoretical speed. 100mbps/1Gbps ethernet is not theoretical speeds. Those are your link rates, what you actually can transfer over the network is a difference of bits and bytes and other factors slowing your connections. Windows will report that speed if you are connected at that link rate. Btw do you stream 5GB movies over your network without any type of lag?

I don't think there is anything actually wrong - the 256-QAM (780 & 866.7 Mbps in your case) modes are just really hard to hit consistently in the real world - you need BOTH a strong signal and a nearly complete lack of interference. You might have better luck on different channels, you will have to try and see. I think 585 is pretty good...

rob_mcg125

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Thanks for the info, Do you happen to know what channels have the highest data throughput for 5GHz? I know with the traditional channels 6 was the best IF no one else was on it.

It's hard to say without testing - the UNII 2e channels (100-140) are most likely to be unused, but may not be supported by all your devices. The UNII 3 channels (149-161) may (but not necessarily) allow slightly higher power. UNII 1 (36-48) channels are most likely to be in use by somebody else.

Solution

rob_mcg125

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Here is some really good information about overlapping and channels. So there is only 2 other people running AC in my apartment luckily and they are both on 161. So I am running on channel 36, 80MHz. It seems to not improve with the different channels but it does get way worse quickly. I am just going to ring that up to being super cheap gear and see how long this gear lasts. I got the 2 year warranty on the gear for like 6.00 so I can always return it for something better later.

Thanks for the help and info!

You also have to worry about anyone else using the 5g band. If someone sticks a 20mhz 802.11n channel in the middle of your 80mhz it will lots of issues too.

Then you have the new tri band routers that use both the upper and lower 80mhz bands eating all. Most routers do not support anything other than uni1 and uni3 and if they do it is only in auto mode. Only certain wireless chipset support the DFS so even auto will not work on all routers. Now you could change your router to another region like russia and then you can set these but in most other countries you are not allowed to manually set the channels that are subject to DFS.