I7 -3820 Bottleneck Gtx 980 TI ?

Solution
http://ark.intel.com/products/63698/Intel-Core-i7-3820-Processor-10M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz
i would also like to make another stament that the sandybridge-e alone does not support pci-e 3.0 there an extra chip or the likes would be required to a sandybridge o run 3.0
or ivy
e.g.
http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/67456/Ivy-Bridge-E these are option that would support 3.0 exp.
final frontier of 2011 (v1) but would also work on your board.
with 40lanes and 3.0 and sliX3 but i belive before investing in such an old and expensive technology you may want to look around and see what cheaper skylake or x99 system something more future proof.maybey even cheaper too!
No, that is not true. PCIe 2.0 x16 is not a bottleneck for gaming with any graphics card, at least not yet. There may come a time when it is, but I imagine the i7-3820 will be a bottleneck first and that's a long ways away yet. Even PCIe 2.0 x8 is not much of a bottleneck at all in most cases and that's half the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x16. PCIe 3.0 is not necessary for desktop graphics cards, it is simply used because it's there and it doesn't hurt to use it. PCIe 3.0 is a bigger deal for SSDs and other adapters, especially those that don't use an x16 slot or for PCIe 3.0 x4 because that's is the max number of lanes supported by most external PCIe technologies like Thunderbolt.

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
no, it does no bottle neck your card, there is still plenty of throughput on the pci-E brigde and the CPU is still plenty fast.

the only thing i see it may be effected if at all is Vram loading times but once in in game that is a none issue.

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Okay, thanks for replies!
I have an odd issue nobody understand why, or how. But I get very low FPS when gaming, and the benchmarking on GPU looked fine.
I know people with same specs that get atleast 60+ % my performance.
I re-installed OS, wiped HDD, and some other things, did alot of research, tried things in Nvidia kontrollpanel and stuff like that, and I can't figure out why I get low fps :( I was hoping one of you guys would know why or potential issue. I tried the most common things.
I had a 780 before the 980 TI, and I know that it performed worse than it should also!
But, I bought the new card hoping for a better performance, but not really..
next thing I will do is buy everything new if I don't find a solution, I'm thinking it's the CPU or RAM or something, not sure though :(

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Mostly H1Z1, and I know it's bad optimized game, but I know people with about the same and even worse specs with more FPS than me.
In the arena before you start when theres alot of people there I have around 30 fps -
I tried 2 other cards which r much cheaper, the 780 and another cheaper than that, and got almost the same FPS as the 980 TI.
Maybe just abit more performance in some areas with the 980 TI, but not alot.
I play with low settings in H1Z1, no shadows etc.
This is the CPU info ? Tell me if theres more you need, I'm clueless with this, sorry. https://gyazo.com/d09fc86d741f1b9e26abfaa8aa699c7a
Rest of computer specs:
PSU: Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU
MB: ASUS P9X79 LE, Socket-2011
Intel Core i7-3820 Processor
Asus Strix Gtx 980 TI
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT
Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM
Seagate Barracuda® 1TB

Open up task manager and go to the performance tab and set the CPU graph to show all cores (you might need to right click it and then check show all cores). Then, play a game and when you feel the FPS is lower than it should be, if you can stop playing (without pausing) mid-game, then do so and see if any CPU cores are near 100% utilized. You can keep CPU-Z open while doing this to see if it is throttling (it would show a low frequency during gaming if it was throttling, IE maybe around 3GHz or lower). That would give us a start as to knowing what may be wrong.

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

ment to tagg you here

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
H1Z1 is still in alpha, but I did find this...

http://youtu.be/mE1Tm4QbpJY

This might help optimise your game.

Also search for MSI afterburner, it's free, and it can help detect if there is any bottlenecking/throttling.

Just throwing these ideas in, these other guys seem to know what they are talking about, I may have been a bit hasty in your other thread suggesting bottlenecking from the cpu not being pcie3 compliant.

I leave you in their capable hands :))

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

It's in other games aswell, not only H1Z1
I got MSI afterburner, but dont know where it detects any problems ;O

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Here's a tutorial on afterburner, it's what I followed.

http://youtu.be/tXCbKOuq8N0

This will help monitor you CPU usage, temperature, your memory usage core usage etc etc.
It might give us a clue as to where the problem might be.

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Is this fine ? https://gyazo.com/bcabc1ca6f656a9ef5c3357f457164a7

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Well yes, that's the graph that shows you a history, if you play H1z1 then tab out to afterburner you can scroll through those graphs to see what's happenning and where. Watch the tutorial to see how to select different things to monitor and how to get it displayed onscreen whilst gaming so you can follow it yourself, it also has a frame rate counter so you can check your FPS, if it drops you can see if your core is overheating or of your CPU is at 99% a whole host of things... But you need to watch the tutorial and chose the settings

sancho_mic

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
hi
can you configure the speed in bios for the particular pcie where you placed the GPU?
Did you try placing the GPU in different socket?
your mobo seems to support the specs of the PCIE 3.0, on the 2 blue sokets - do you have latest bios?
Any option to understand if your card is working in PCIe 3.0 and at what speed? (CPU-z Mainboard tab ?)
-s

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

I have to agree, your next step is to try another pcie slot, one of the long ones with the release tabs at the end.

Although, I just spent the last 30 minutes searching for 'H1Z1 fps issues' and EVERY link I followed had one common factor, evryone had an Intel I7-3xxx at its heart. This game is surely CPU intensive and the fact that socket 2011 intel I7-3xxx range only support pcie2 isn't gonna help.
I'm leaning more towards the idea of upgrading your CPU for better results now

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

sancho_mic

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
from the screenshot, i see "pcie express" but no value on the version (2.0 or 3.0). It does look 16x so 2.0 or 3.0 will not make a diff.
regardless, will compare with mine, although diff mobo, and will post back...
hang on, will reply next hours...

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Cool, Thx

His CPU is not pcie3 compliant, only pcie2 according to this...

https://imageshack.us/i/pcl0KlZuj

Do you think the game could be optimised for pcie3 support and therefore giving the CPU a hard time, creating a bottleneck ?

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Having problems with other games too though ;o
Also maybe out of the topic, but got this after i reinstalled windows n wiped PC,
https://gyazo.com/8e60cc022625417efb3565a1bc7eba5a
Trying to activate the code, but its invalid

Defectspecsmaybe

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Looks like in some part of the game when theres not that much to materials to render or low amount of people I get sometimes good fps - 200
But, when theres alot to render or alot of people in start of the game ( 150 ) I get as low as 30-35.
Is this sure to be a CPU issue or anyhing I can do? would buying a new CPU fix it ?