fx 8320 will bottleneck the asus 970 gpu?

fazavala

Reputable
May 10, 2015
i have the fx 8320 and i want to upgrade my r9 280 and i want to know if my processor will bottleneck this gpu

Solution
It depends on the game.
games such as sims, strategy and mmo types typically are limited by the performance of a single master thread.

Games such as fast action shooters depend more on fast graphics.

Here is a couple of tests to get an idea:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/...
It depends on the game.
games such as sims, strategy and mmo types typically are limited by the performance of a single master thread.

Games such as fast action shooters depend more on fast graphics.

Here is a couple of tests to get an idea:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one core. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option. set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many cores.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

Solution