$800 - $900 gaming build - Need Advice

themagicalgamer

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
!ATTENTION! Please Read the entire thread before posting !ATTENTION!
Before I begin I would like to give some rules when posting on this thread.

Rules:
1. I am planning to keep this build for at least 2 years, keep this in mind
2. When suggesting something better, please take the time to give solid proof backing your answer.
3. Please keep all comments constructive, nice and helpful.

Background Info:
This is my second build. I have already posted a thread asking for a good pc build; however, I do not feel that I asked the questions I wanted to ask. I did not give enough info. I have spent 2+ months on designing the product of my research. I have provided what I believe to be a really good build, and I have concrete proof to back my decision. This pc will be solely for gaming and browsing the web. I hope that this build will be able to play most games at 60+ fps, and keeping load times at minimum. I hope that I will be able to reach the best performance for the money I am paying. I will be overclocking both the graphics card and the cpu of this build. If you need anymore info feel free to ask. I intend to wait 2+ weeks before buying the parts.

PcPartPicker:PC Build - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BwWyJx

CPU - AMD FX-8320:
What can I say?
- 8 cores which will allow for multitasking
- Easily overclocked to 4.5 ghz
- Great price per performance
- Cheaper that i5 even with cooler
- Cheaper than other fx-8000 series cpu's

Evidence #1 - Amd fx 8320 overclocks the same as other 8000 series
Evidence #2 - FX 8320 12% worse - but still better value for gaming

CPU COOLER - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo:
- Overclocks the cpu to 4.5 ghz easily
Enough Said.

Evidence #1 - 4.5 ghz overclock

MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3:
Manirelli (A pcpartpicker staff) sums up the board really well with his comment on it. And really there is only 3 types of motherboard's:
1. Do not buy this
2. Good enough
3. Amazing but you will almost never need it

Evidence #1 - Manirelli's comment

RAM - Averix Budget Series 8GB:
From what I learned, you really don't need anything expensive except for looks, overclocking or servers. Since I don't fit in to any of these categories, I chose the cheapest ram I could get and I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

Evidence #1 - Expensive vs Cheap ram

SSD - Sandisk Ultra II 480GB:
This is the one that I'm least confident about, as I'm not an ssd expert. Think I should keep it? I do not have any evidence for either one as far as I can tell, But I do not think I will notice much of a performance benefit to using a Samsung vs a Sandisk. However, here is a steam post about load times of ark:survival evolved (A fun and very poorly optimized game) with a ssd vs hdd.

Evidence #1 - Ark Load Times ssd vs hdd

Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g:
Not even bothering to talk about this much. Its a good thermal paste, no one but extreme enthusiasts need anything more, and its cheap.

GPU - MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB:
The new performance per dollar king - JayzTwoCents (or he said something like that :) )
Ok so this card is neck and neck with the gtx 970, and when overclocked, the msi version gets a edge on the gtx 970.
Not to mention I can get it for 10 bucks cheaper than the gtx 970, and get 15% of price from jet.com

Evidence #1 - JayzTwoCents - R9 390

Case - Corsair 200r:
This case is nice, simplistic, and Ill I need.
I don't look for much in a case as long as it does not suck, which the comments section speaks for this case on this one.

Evidence #1 - Corsair 200r - PcPartPicker

Corsair Builder 500w 80+ bronze
Ok here is the thing. My current build has a integrated diablotek psu, company is supposedly bad and psu should be bad. spent 20$ on the case and psu combo, and my pc never really crashed or had overheating problems. So unless you have a extremely good reason to make me pick the best psu in the world, dont bother trying to choose anything better.

OS - Windows 10

Ok im not even bothering with this one unless there is a linux distro that can play every pc game in the world.

Monitor - Asus VG248QE
- Good reviews
- High refresh rate
- Low Response Time
- 1080p
- High contrast

Is there anything better?

END OF PART LIST
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 2 most demanding games I play right now:
1. Ark
2. Planetside 2

I plan to play many more games. Also the monitor is going to be bought later, that's why its marked as purchased.

The closer the price is to the current part list the better, however I have a flexible budget of 800 to 900

!Thank You for taking your time reading this message!
I hope I can get the best deal possible on my pc,
so lets work together,
themagicalgamer

Edits:
1. Switched from the Cooler Master Hyper Evo to Cryorig 7 for better cooling.
2. Switched the corsair builder 500w to a Seasonic 620w s12II
3. Switched amd to i5-4590 and equivalant motherboard for better performance

Solution

kwa-e

Admirable
I have a few qualms with this build.

>There are benchmarks that suggest that the i3 6100 is a superior gaming CPU at a budgethttp://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/

>PSU is terrible, go with a Seasonic 620W unit instead, much better reliability and nearly the same cost. (Ask around in the PSU forums, The people there have experienced many people who had their CX units fail within 3 years, specially on gaming systems.)

I'd also suggest getting a cryorig H7 instead of the 212 EVO, performs a little bit better and is easier to install to boot.

themagicalgamer

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Hey thanks for the advice. What about the h5? I can afford it and it performs a considerable amount compared to both of them. As far as the i3 - what is 1% and 0.1% frame time performance? Otherwise I will gladly switch to the other cooler and the power supply.
Edit : Nevermind at overclocking it only performs better by 1 celcius, will take the h7 gladly
and you mean the s12 620 watt right?

overclocking an fx 8 core to 4.5ghz just so it can match a basic i5 in overall performance is not a wise choice. on top of that, there is no upgrade options. unless you have a specific non gaming app that you need amd fx for then there is no reason to go with the fx processor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($133.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($270.92)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($40.00)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (Purchased For $249.00)
Total: $1075.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-31 14:48 EST-0500

themagicalgamer

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

ok got it, I was debating between these two anyway
guess I have no choice but to go with the i5
have any recommendations for cheap and quiet cpu coolers?

kwa-e

Admirable

Yep, the S12II 620w is the unit I'm talking about.

And this should give you an idea of how frame time works
https://www.mvps.org/directx/articles/fps_versus_frame_time.htm

But it's generally a measure of how bad a program stutters during rendering the game.

Solution