i7 3820 is stuck on 1.2 Ghz, low fps in various games as a result

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
So to illustrate my problem the best I got a bit of a read...

I got a pretty fine gaming pc ( specs below). It works just fine from first looks. However I installed an ssd a few months back. Naturally I installed windows on it, a completely fresh install with the orriginal disk and with the boot from the disk drive and all. Figured it out as I went, took me a day but it was doable. Everything worked fine, pc boots in seconds, games run and so on.

However, the fps in games is really low regardless of graphic settings. For instance: gta5 online, I can turn everything way down or up and my fps while driving will still be around 20fps.. Same applies to csgo, however there I manage to get up to 100 fps with all settings down.
All temperatures are fine, cpu never goes above 50 C.
I tried an endless list of tweaking with settings however the fact that it was the same problem in several games suggested that is was not just settings causing the problem.

Through a friend I found out that ( by using the program cpuid) that my core clock was a 1,2 at ALL times. It never changed. So the max of 3,6Ghz was never used, so only 1/3 of the max clock speed is reached.

As a possible way to solve this I upgraded to win10 ( from win7 home). Did a complete fresh install (again). I installed cpuid again and it seemed that the problem was solved, the clock speed was changing with activity, reached over 3Ghz at one point for a second when I opened up a streaming site. However after 5 minutes the clock speed was again at 1,2Ghz and never left that speed after that.
I installed CSGO again, and the problem was the same. Relatively low fps, and clock speed stuck.
At the moment I am reinstalling GTA5 again to see how that runs but I think I know what the outcome will be...

So, my question to all you fine helpful people on this site is: is there anything I can still try to make my cpu run like it is supposed to do? Or is the thing just dying of old age......

I have heard of flashing the bios but that might be something that is perhaps a tad to complicated.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Specs:

mobo: msi x79a-gd45 plus
cpu: intel core i7 3820 @3,6Ghz ( no overclock, never been overclocked)
cpu: msi gtx 970
ssd: hyperx savage 480Gb
hdd: st1000dm003 1Tb
ram: 12Gb (not sure on the brand, need to look that up if needed)
power: 600 W

Lightshot of cpuid: http://prntscr.com/9x9b4r
All parts are about 3 years old. Bought the pc assembled from a site but picked the parts myself form a selection that this particular site offered.

With exception of the gpu( almost 1 year old) and the ssd ( 3ish months).

Solution
In bios, cpu features > cpu limit maximum is not set?
What bios version are you on? It's unlikely but possible this is an issue.
Can you try changing the sata port that you are using given that this stared with a transfer to an SSD.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Thanks for replying. When idle it is around 30 C. In game between 40 and 50 C. Never seen it go above.

Energy setting is on high performance with the minimum cpu power on 100%

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Thanks for replying. I am not sure. I will have to check in the BIOS.

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
go into BIOS before windows boots and do a Reset to Factory Defaults on the motheboard

boot into Windows and install the latest Intel Chipset Drivers https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

Maybe you have it Enabled or Auto, be sure to put it in Disabled.

hackerk

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
find a cpu busy file that can set your cpu above 1.2 and increase paging size of your system. if you are not sure how to do that replay me i will assist you through steps this will surely solve your problem.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

It was enabled. Disabled it now. All cores still stuck at same speed regardless of activity...

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Thanks for replying. Would love to try it. No idea how though.

hackerk

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014

download and install speecy form periform.com and post the screenshot so we can proceed further.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Assuming it was speccy from piriform :)

http://prntscr.com/9xa0p0

There you go

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
go into BIOS before windows boots and do a Reset to Factory Defaults on the motheboard

boot into Windows and install the latest Intel Chipset Drivers https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

hackerk

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
enable virtualization from bios. then secondly i think you should modify the paging memory. try this and if you are not sure how to do that. i will assist you through the procedure.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Thanks for replying. I will try that. However, does the reset to factory setting have any other effects? Like loss of other things? Perhaps a dumb question. But I do not want to end up having to re do a whole lot of other things. :)

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
it might fix your problem; try it

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Virtualization enabled. No change. And no idea how to modify the paging memory.

Be very very careful, I don't think that 'hackerk' knows what he is talking about, the words in used in his first post were utter trash.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Ok, done both. No change. Also the driver update utility told me, after scanning that there are no drivers for my product.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Thank you. Will do.

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
did you do Reset to Defaults and Save and Reboot?

hackerk

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
go to my computer properties. advance setting>perfomance>Advanced>change virtual memory.
then select your c: drive and then select custom size. now you are having 12Gb of RAM so in minimum insert 12288 and for maximum 24576. and apply the setting. now reboot the system and try to run the games.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Yes I did.

hackerk

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014

i know very well what i am talking about because that's what i do with my own system. and some programs need virtualization technology to be enabled. that is the reason why i had suggested that option.