fx 8370 only running at 1.4ghz, 30% of total usage

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hello people of Toms hardware!

The last few weeks i notice my comp was suddenly very slow, so i installed a few programs to see my cpu usage and it showed me that my fx 8370 is only using 1.4ghz even on load. Ive tryed so many ways now to fix it, but without luck!

Note: all programs says that my cpu has 4ghz, but only gives me 1.4ghz

Also i have not tryed to OC my cpu yet

All 8 cores are working and temp seem to be fine aswell,

Ive done following things -->
- Reset Bios
- updated bios to old / new versions
- Format the whole comp
- set cpu ratio to 20
- turned off/on slow mode
- installed/reinstalled drivers
- updated windows
- done prime 95 test / similar programs also
- scanned for virus/malware
- disable AMD cool n quiet, turbo core
- went into power manage to change to balance/high

Picture - > http://postimg.org/image/orxtjjbv3/

My current pc specc -->
- Seagate® Desktop SSHD 1TB
- HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 16GB Black
- MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+
- AMD FX-8370 Black Edition, Socket-AM3+
- Cooler Master Nepton 120XL CPU Cooler
- Corsair RM750, 750W PSU
- MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8GB GDDR5

any tip or help are welcome!

Solution
Who knows !!??!! :-/

In all honesty if this problem started recently & your PC was fine before & you haven't between those instances removed the CPU, replaced the cooler etc or tinkered with the CPU in any way physically its unlikely it actually is the CPU.
Very rarely do CPU's just 'go bad' on their own.
Motherboards on the other hand definitely can & its definitely more likely the board.
I've never ever been a big fan of MSI , I used the board a couple of times because that's what the customer wanted (red & black) - it seemed decent enough though but the fact is in my eyes MSI have always had reliability problems when it comes to amd chipsets.

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Ive seen quite a few forums, where people are having trouble.
in most cases it seems to be the vrm, i have installed a fan just above the vrm, still no effect tho.

i find it weird since all the components should pair with eachother. my pc was working beyond great in a few month, until recently :(

Manish Tewari

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

Yes it is very low, i hope your Mobo still in in warrenty - look to RMA it or exchange with 990 - what ever is possible.

^ at 1400mhz it will be below 1v - that's normal for that clock.

Got to be board related although the vrm's on the MSI are good quality.

Try running amd tweaker (just unzip to desktop & double click the off.bat file)

My own upload so 100% safe - all it does is disable all power saving features at low level.
May likely do nothing but worth trying.

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Thanks for all the help and input, but nothing helps.. expect for madmatt amd tweaker file that increased my cpu with 5% lol :p 35% load yay!
i guess i need a new motherboard, thinking of getting ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, it seems that it can support my fx 8370 and have gotten good reviews

do you have another mobo in mind, thats good for the fx 8370?

also the msi 970 gaming seems to have trouble with the vrm when running with fx series 8xxx, its a damn shame since the mobo have awesome design

AreFlame

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
I have the same motherboard, it works great for me and the temps for vrm is cool enough. Anyways, have you tried enabling oc genie in the bios? This overclocks it for you to turbo clock of 4.3ghz. Try that and let me know if it fixes it.

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Thats good to hear it has cool vrm! :)

I just tried the OC genie, and did not help. all fans went crazy and its still on 1.4ghz and multiplier still at 7x, it actually made my comp alot slower for some reason :eek:

AreFlame

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

This is very odd, by default everything should be on auto in the bios, try to do a bios reset. If that dosent help try put high performance in powersaving mode since if its balanced or power saving mode it will clock down to 1.4ghz.

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Its still at 1.4ghz and locked at a multiplier by 7x, ive already tried those option you said earlier this week aswell, think ive all options that exist :<

my best option is probaly getting a new mobo, asus sabertooth seems to be choice.

Do you have a fx 8370 in that mobo aswell? if yes has it been OC or similar?

AreFlame

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
If you look in my signature i do indeed use the same cpu and motherboard. And i belive your motherboard might be fault, although it can just as much also be the cpu. Has it ever been in 4.0ghz or was it always like this? Also yeah the 990fx chipset is the best to go for am3+ boards and i do recommend the sabertooth, at least over the crosshair v one since the price difference is not worth it.

Edit: And yes i also overclocked my FX-8370.

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Yeah my guess is that the mobo is faulty aswell.
ooh i just noticed you had the same setup aswell :p

The cpu has been on 4.0ghz a few weeks back, but dunno if it can be the cpu.. but if the cpu is faulty, would my comp even be able to start up then?

Something slipped my mind ,mainly because Ive only used that board twice & that was pushing 2 years ago.

The board has a physical slow boot switch - there to get you out of trouble if you set voltages too high & can't bios post
It physically sets the clocks /voltages/ram speeds to their absolute minimums (which on an fx is .8875v & 1400mhz)

Its at the front of the board , below the 24 pin main header & next to the sys fan header.
Check that you haven't accidentally caught this & switched it to the on position.

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Im guessing its the "slow mode" your talking about, i think ive already tried that, but im gonna give it a go!
How to tell if its on/off? on my mobo its just a switch

Frankbottle

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

That didnt help too :(

But i just downclocked my cpu to 3.0ghz and suddently it was at 100% for 2-3 min in some cpu stress programs and then it went down to 1.4ghz again. thats kinda strange imo!