1 tb 5400 or 2 tb 7200 rpm HDD?

meeeemeeeee

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I want this laptop but it has a 1 tb 5400rpm HDD and I want a 2 tb 7200rpm HDD for more storage space and faster rpm.
Will a 7200rpm HDD work in a laptop that comes with a 5400rpm HDD?

Solution
Yes it will. The important factor is the drive's capacity but since the laptop supports 1TB drives I can't see 2TB being an issue.
I wouldn't go any higher than that though.

apanpapan3

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Yes, it will work if it is the same size. Most HDDs in laptops are 2.5 inch drives, but 2 tb 7200 RPM 2.5 inch drives are not very common, but you might be able to find one. Otherwise you can get a slightly slower 2 TB 5400 RPM 2.5 inch drive instead.

MonsignorBart

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
What model 2TB 7200 RPM 2.5" hard drive are you looking at?

I looked for one about 4 months ago and could only find there's only one single 2TB laptop (2.5") hard drive out there and it's a 5400 designed strictly for storage its read/write performance was abysmal for anything else.

When I got my laptop I first got it with a 1TB Hybrid drive (SSHD) which the hybrid part didn't work well when recording game plays it would record for a minute or two then stall (as if the SSD cache filled up and I needed to wait for it to flush to the HDD). I also didn't like finding out, if the SSD portion fails the HDD part can't be read even if that part is still good.

I then got a 1TB 7200 RPM as I couldn't find a 2TB 7200 RPM and been happy it can handle streaming game recording my SSHD couldn't but I'm running out of room (as I'm also a photographer) I'd be happier with 2TB.

I updated my configuration again and now have a 1TB SSD mSata and 1TB 7200 RPM HDD. I really like it, because I didn't have to throw away the 7200 RPM HDD and things run great. I keep my OS and Photo's on the SSD occasionally backing them up to the HDD and everything else (games, recorded game plays, documents, etc.) just goes to the 7200 RPM HDD in my laptop but I wish it were bigger! I also have a 2TB laptop drive I mentioned but it's in an external USB 3.0 box and backup the system just encase I get a virus that wipes everything or I get the laptop stolen but it's slow... slow... slow, as much as I'd love to put it inside my laptop and have 2TB of space it's just too slow for anything else but backing up.