R9 380 4GB Very Disappointed With The Performance

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Firstly i had an i3 4170 with gigabyte r9 380 4gb, 8gb ddr3 ram dual channel, and xfx 550w psu, asrock h81m vg4 r2.0 (PCIE 2.0)
i was getting very poor performance so i though that the fault is my cpu so i sold it and get an i5 4460.My gpu temps are 64c max and cpu 55c max.
I format my pc clean install windows 10 pro and latest amd drivers and latest bios for my motherboard.I am getting stuttering and fps drops in games like gta v and watchdog, graphic settings are 1080p high to ultra without msaa.
What is false here? Is it normal for this card to have those issues?
I think maybe it is the pcie 2.0 which i have my gpu installed, or my hdd beacouse it is slow
50 MB/s Read Write speed.

Solution

Are you saying an R9 380 can draw up to 365 W by itself? No, it absolutely will not draw that much. Unless his PSU is faulty, the XFX 550 W should have no problem powering an R9 380.
GTAv is largely a single threaded and cpu limited game.
You traded a i3-4170 with an excellent single threaded clock rate of 3.7.
For a quad with a lesser 3.4 clock rate, but more cores.

The problem is not likely your graphics card.

With your motherboard, the best you can do would be a i7-4790K which runs at 4.0 and 4.4 turbo at stock.

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

I dont think i5 is the issue.My gpu usage reach and stay 100%.
Gta v is not single threaded.

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

I am always playing single player and have those issues!!!

cfortney

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Don't listen to anyone telling you you need to upgrade to an i7. Your i5 is plenty capable of playing GTA V with zero issues. I think you could have drivers from your previous GPU still installed, conflicting with the R9 380. I've personally never use this tool, but I've seen it recommended: http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

After you're finished, go back into AMD Catalyst and get yourself the latest drivers. Try GTA again. If you're still experiencing problems, download this (https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/) because it's a solid GPU benchmark test, and this (https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/) which is a tool that monitor's your GPU's temperature. Stuttering can occur when the GPU is running at too high of a temperature, and this should help you see how your R9 380 is doing. Monitor the temps while Unigine benchmark runs, it's hard to give an exact number, but you really don't want to see it much higher than 80 degrees celsius. If you're finding that it runs at 90 or above under load, you need to make sure the airflow is headed in the correct direction inside your case (intake flows into exhaust) and perhaps install some more case fans to lower your temperatures.

That's all I can think of right now!

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

My gpu is not overheated it have a max of 64c.
How the hell can some older driver interact whith the current, when i have formatted my pc twice and clean istall gpu drivers.

cfortney

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

I don't know, but that would be the first thing I would try. So you're saying you've already been monitoring the temperatures while playing GTA and experiencing the stuttering?

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

It was the first think i thought but i have an old hdd laying around with 100 MB/s Read Write speed and try with it too, and having the same issues but this hdd was having some problems in the past it is 8 year old.

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Yes i always monitor temps and other things in game, everything is "cold" but i get stutter and lag.

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

So you think that hdd is the problem, which i am getting those lag and stuttering?

RightHereBro

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

My card never overheating i monitor my pc stats in game max temp is 64c.

amd4lif3

Admirable
BANNED
Oct 20, 2014
yeah probably but do the gta 5 benchmark and see when it dips maybe its something but yeah probs a hdd fault what you could do is use one hdd for the operating system and software and use another for gta 5 see if the stutter goes less if it does that means its hdd issue and you should get a new hdd if it doesnt get better then we need to find out because i had a gtx 6704gb its more than i could ever want she the only girl for me XD