Would R9 280 cause major bottlenecks to this system?

natipazzi

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I've decided to bring out my old computer and use it in my free time on my office. It had a Q8300 quad core processor on a gigabyte p43-es3g so I purchased an aftermarket cooler and managed to safely overclock it to 3.12 GHz. However the graphics card overheats immensely (60C non-loaded) and it's really kinda outdated for all of the modern games. I'm not gonna try to play very intensive games in this computer, I already have a solid setup at home, just wanted to give it a go and take your opinion.

So my question is, would a R9 280 cause MAJOR bottlenecks with these specs? I found its price reasonable for its performance so it's been in my mind for a while

SPECS:

C2Q Q8300 @ 3.12 GHz
6 GB ddr2 kingston rams
GIGABYTE p43-es3g mainboard
hd5750

Solution

The R7-370 would be a better balanced system, if that is what you are after. Less chance of CPU bottleneck. But I've never been one to worry much about CPU bottleneck. All that means is that some games might not be able to quite utilize the full performance of the gfx card because the CPU is not able to keep up. In which case, you have paid for performance you can't use.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
While the R9-280 will be bottle-necked by the aging quad core, I wouldn't call it a MAJOR bottleneck. Some games that are GPU intensive will run much better with the card even though other games that are a bit more CPU intensive will show some CPU bottleneck.

natipazzi

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Thanks for your reply, would you give it a go? What about r7 370?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The R7-370 would be a better balanced system, if that is what you are after. Less chance of CPU bottleneck. But I've never been one to worry much about CPU bottleneck. All that means is that some games might not be able to quite utilize the full performance of the gfx card because the CPU is not able to keep up. In which case, you have paid for performance you can't use.

Solution