FX-8350 Heating up no matter what

VyborBandit

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
So, ive had a few problems with this cpu over the last year. I recently bought a new Mobo, i now have
GTX 760 MSI OC
Fatality 970 Mobo
and the dreaded Fx-8350
So its water-cooled and i think i might still have heat problems. in Arma 3 i only reach about 20 fps if im lucky, i was lucky and got into the Division beta and i managed to pull a solid 40FPS. but i noticed out of the corner of my eye that this [ https://gyazo.com/7bc6fe3af72840271e836ee043e4a0a5 ] was happening, how can i reduce the heat of this chip? i have tried everything and im thinking about buying an I5 since know they run cooler, i have also considered power issues but my PSU is about 6 months old, Its from corsair so its pretty reliable, Any help is greatly appreciated :)
One other thing. i recently done my thermal compound again to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Which Corsair PSU is it? Some are not so good (CX, RM...)

Is it really water cooled, or is it simply liquid cooled with propylene glycol in one of those Fisher Price H50 thingies (that is not going to work)?

What is your thermal margin in AMD Overdrive under full load?

Corsair has some mediocre power supplies like any other company -- as an example, their CX line sucks. I'm hoping you don't have one of those.

And your CPU is down-clocking for one of two reasons:

1. Heat threshold exceeded
2. TDP exceeded

If it's heat, you need a better cooler.

If it's TDP, you need to tell the mainboard to allow the CPU to draw more than 125W.

You should be able to find something similar to "Short Duration" something and "Long Duration" something (both relating to power) in the BIOS. Try 175 for the Long and 200 for the Short.

VyborBandit

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Welp... i have a CX 600. so this could be the problem?
and i will have a look around my bios for the power settings

VyborBandit

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

MY Psu is a CX 600, My cooler is a H75, The margin on each core is about 15c when under load

VyborBandit

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Ok so i went through my Bios and couldn't find anything along those lines, i found a few different things but nothing similar to what you described, i found "Ht Voltage" but that was it. also, in my temps my cpu was sitting at 65... but my Mobo was at 30 which is good.

Not every FX 8350 is the same.

I have seen some FX 8350cpu`s with a core votage of the cpu set at 1.28v that work completely stable at here 4Ghz default speed.

You can try manually setting the core voltage of your FX 8350 cpu to this setting and you might find the temps drop
With a Aio water cooling loop you should at Idle in windows around 36c to 38c on average.

The amount of thermal paste you use if too much will have a negative effect on heat transfer.
And how well the water block on the cpu is evenly tension ed if using four points to clamp the water block to the cpu.

You should also check to see if the pump of your water cooler setup is at a fixed flow rate in Rpm or can be changed.
The lower the flow rate in rpm the hotter the cpu will get.

I don`t know what thermal compound you used but Artic silver 5 is always what I recommend to use.
Cheap stuff for example by Akasa tends to work less effective.

The good...well I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

The mediocre:

Thermal margin of 15C should be fine. If it gets near zero, that's when it will start throttling. The H75 is mediocre and contains very little actual water, but 15C margin is still within operating spec.

The bad:

Your other program might be indicating VRM temperatures, which is a different concern. Your motherboard model has mediocre nikos dpack mosfets. They don't particularly like ripply input voltage. And guess what your CX is feeding them...rippletastic because of the poor ripple filtering capxon capacitors in the secondary.

What I would do now:

1) Place small fan over your motherboard's VRMs. The H75 provides absolutely no airflow to the VRMs, a real problem often overlooked when buying liquid cooling. Real water cooling often uses a water cooled VRM as part of the loop.

2) Force feed your PSU some cold air. That CX is only rated to 30C, which is totallly inadequate for a gaming PC that will typically heat up everything to 45C or more. You probably need to replace that though.

VyborBandit

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Ok so, i think my cpu may be being controlled by a function for power? its core voltage is always changing in the 1.336 - 1.44 area, for the thermal paste i just used a little pea kinds sized dollop and it is 4 screws for the cpu cooler yes.
the flow rate on my cooler is also fixed im pretty sure, had a look around and no one suggests you can change them
the compound i use is "E1 IC essentials" its some cooler master stuff

VyborBandit

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

SO, i took your advice and ran a test with a fan on the Mobo, it was all very cool and during a stress test did not downclock once. i took the fan away and this happened arounf 5 minutes later https://gyazo.com/966390635d77a2114eb5fb48f020ba5e All cores down to 1330 and a section named "CPU" under the mobo at 83.5 but the cpu its self recording 63 (the Gyazo took time to take so the temp went down by the time it captured)
https://gyazo.com/0a520470e07304dfa904b8f4b255f015 (another with no extra fan)