Solved

amd fx 6300 and asus m5a99x evo r2.0 abilities

hi i have an amd fx 6300 unlocked black edition core, with an asus m5a99x evo r2.0 with kingston hyperx blu 2x4gb ram running with a sapphire hd6750 gpu and a pulse power supply model pps-750br and a 1tb seagate sshd hybrid drive and my desktop keeps freezing under load or while watching a youtube video or even while booting and the freezes are completely random and happens doing anything i tought it was the psu so i changed it to a smaller 500w one and it helped for alittle while but now the its just the same and its really frustrating cause i cant use the computer for more than a minute on certain days but it helps when i turn down the frequency of the ram to 1333mhz and the volts to 1.4v it freezes between the 5-20 min mark and i am not over clocking my system everything is running on default, and the bios is at its latest and i also ran hirens boot cd tests on my cpu ram gpu and hard drive and it returned with no errors in either of my hardware and i have foramtted my harddrive many times and put various os's on it so it cant be related to software and i have tried my gpu on another desktop and it works fine and i have also put an ati firepro v3900 in my desktop but it still freezes, so any suggestions...
47 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd 6300 asus m5a99x evo abilities
  1. well i was in a similar situation, pc stays good on youtube, and general applications, but when i plan to do some gaming it crashes or freezes (with a black screen, no BSOD reports and the pc stays ON) it was needed a forced shutdown and the thing goes all over again as soon as you plan to run a game and play-it
    the solution for me was:
    install a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate version with no Windows updates installed, install AMD drivers, sound, etc with no motherboard utilities and gpu tweaks
    then it have no more crashes
    note that i tested with a different ram, psu and gpu but the problem was between Motherboard, CPU and Windows (updates or some kind of automatic driver installation via windows update)
  2. maugusto said:
    well i was in a similar situation, pc stays good on youtube, and general applications, but when i plan to do some gaming it crashes or freezes (with a black screen, no BSOD reports and the pc stays ON) it was needed a forced shutdown and the thing goes all over again as soon as you plan to run a game and play-it
    the solution for me was:
    install a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate version with no Windows updates installed, install AMD drivers, sound, etc with no motherboard utilities and gpu tweaks
    then it have no more crashes
    note that i tested with a different ram, psu and gpu but the problem was between Motherboard, CPU and Windows (updates or some kind of automatic driver installation via windows update)

    i already tried that but it sometimes freezes when installing my drivers or even if i run my system without drivers it still freezes so i dont really think its a software related issue.
  3. ok then you need to check for hardware problems. start with a memtest, if it passes (best is 9 passes) the go for a CPU test
  4. maugusto said:
    ok then you need to check for hardware problems. start with a memtest, if it passes (best is 9 passes) the go for a CPU test


    should i use this memtest http://www.memtest86.com/
    or should i use the windows memory diagnostic scan?
  5. Since you've put on different hardware parts in order to try to discover.....have your cleared your motherboard CMOS ? Make sure that you do not have any BETA drivers installed as well.
  6. Andrei-Florin Gogan said:
    Since you've put on different hardware parts in order to try to discover.....have your cleared your motherboard CMOS ? Make sure that you do not have any BETA drivers installed as well.


    i dont know how to clear the cmos, but i have tried another cmos from my other desktop but it still has the same problem, i dont have any beta drivers currently installed.
  7. You can clear the CMOS by moving the CMOS jumper on the motherboard or by taking the motherboard battery out and put it back in after 2 minutes.
  8. Andrei-Florin Gogan said:
    You can clear the CMOS by moving the CMOS jumper on the motherboard or by taking the motherboard battery out and put it back in after 2 minutes.


    okay...yeah i have already cleared the cmos in that case but no difference :(
  9. OK so this is a bit strange. Make sure you do not have any driver conflicts. Look at the power management and set it to performance.
  10. Andrei-Florin Gogan said:
    OK so this is a bit strange. Make sure you do not have any driver conflicts. Look at the power management and set it to performance.


    i had only 1 driver conflict with my gpu crimson drivers but thats fine now, if i set it to high performance or powersaver from the power management it doesnt change anything it still freezes but over either shorter intervals or longer intervals
  11. okay so i was running the memtest and my desktop just shut down in the middle of the test what does that mean?
  12. OK so we need to get a bit deeper into the problem. Have your tried safe mode? Try safe mode with networking if it freezes, try safe mode without network.
  13. Andrei-Florin Gogan said:
    OK so we need to get a bit deeper into the problem. Have your tried safe mode? Try safe mode with networking if it freezes, try safe mode without network.

    how do i get to safe mode on windows 10?
  14. press start/power/ shift+restart/troubleshoot/advanced options/startup settings and press the appropriate key.
  15. Andrei-Florin Gogan said:
    press start/power/ shift+restart/troubleshoot/advanced options/startup settings and press the appropriate key.

    so the memtests just finished and 0 errors, and there was no difference even if i booted into safe mode it still kept freezing with or without network on safe mode
  16. is your CPU cooler in the correct place?
  17. maugusto said:
    is your CPU cooler in the correct place?


    yes, the cpu cooler is in the correct place
  18. faulty motherboard? do you have a spare one to swap and test?
  19. maugusto said:
    faulty motherboard? do you have a spare one to swap and test?


    no i dont have a spare one with an amd3+ socket, but right now on safe mode with networking and the computer hasnt froze and its been on for about 32 min at full cpu load and full ram load, i have opened up all my apps and games and im watching a movie on it at the same time and it doesnt seem like it is going to freeze...by this time the desktop would have froze
  20. Andrei-Florin Gogan said:
    OK so we need to get a bit deeper into the problem. Have your tried safe mode? Try safe mode with networking if it freezes, try safe mode without network.


    the computer hasnt frozen in safe mode with networking till now and its been exactly 35 min at 98% cpu load and 87% memory load...what do you suggest doing next?
  21. enter safe mode and do a disc check, it can me bad sectors and the files are damaged
  22. maugusto said:
    enter safe mode and do a disc check, it can me bad sectors and the files are damaged


    okay im still in safe mode...how do i do a disk check?
    but even when i put mac osx Yosemite on a whole new disk it froze when setting up accounts, thats when the operating system had not yet stated...any ideas with that?
    but im watching a movie with my computer right now on safe mode wouldnt it freeze again if there was something wrong with the hard disk?
  23. ok, so, if in safe mode the pc stays normal, you may have a problem in your gpu, because in safe mode you don't use 3d rendering, only 2d (by not using 3d doesn't mean you cant play movies or games)
    test with a different gpu to confirm
  24. I agree with maugusto. Try and put in a known working GPU and see what happens.
  25. maugusto said:
    ok, so, if in safe mode the pc stays normal, you may have a problem in your gpu, because in safe mode you don't use 3d rendering, only 2d (by not using 3d doesn't mean you cant play movies or games)
    test with a different gpu to confirm


    i was playing dying light and hawx 2 on safe mode but it was lagging like anything, but when i try different graphics cards on different slots on my mother board it still freezes oh and i have 3 graphics card slots on my mother board
  26. i have tried an ati firepro v3900 instead of my radeon and it still froze and that graphics card is supported by my mother board i checked online and i also tried an old geforce 8400m and it worked abit better but it still froze
  27. should i try and install windows 7 on a new hard disk and put in my firePro v3900 on the secondary graphics card slot and see if it works http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/3900 - this is my fire pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102943 - and this is my radeon
  28. okay so i just installed a clean version of windows 8 on a new hard drive and im using my completely functional firepro on my 2nd gpu card slot and it froze yet again and i have no drivers and no windows updates installed currently
  29. is your PSU up to the task? i tried to find some info about it, but it seems is a very crappy psu, because there are not a single detail on the rails, amps, voltage, etc
  30. I'm starting to think about the PSU as well, the motherboard should be fine.
  31. maugusto said:
    is your PSU up to the task? i tried to find some info about it, but it seems is a very crappy psu, because there are not a single detail on the rails, amps, voltage, etc


    i tried 3 different psu's 1 simple 250w one from an acer desktop, a Corsair HX750W Psu, and a bronze level psu i dont remember the brand though but still they all froze, so im not sure that its the psu
  32. hi so was testing the 3rd and final gpu slot with my fire pro and it still froze on windows 8 with no mother board drivers, and the only driver that is currently installed is the gpu display drivers...and i have no apps installed other than the apps that come with windows 8 and i have google chrome and steam currently installed and i was trying to play warface and it froze after 1min of switching on the computer.
    So do you think that the freezing is cause of the gpu slots on the mother board?
  33. Try Windows 10 maybe ?
  34. Andrei-Florin Gogan said:
    Try Windows 10 maybe ?


    doesn't help cause my other hard disk was windows 10 and i removed all the other drivers form that hard disk and it still froze so i dont think it has anything to do with software
  35. So you tested RAM, PSU , GPU. The remaining options to try are CPU or motherboard.....
  36. Yeah i have tested the ram, the psu, the 2 gpu's, and i did a stress test on the cpu no i have not tested the motherboard...how do i test the cpu and the motherboard?
  37. get a working motherboard and put your hardware on it and see if works properly
  38. maugusto said:
    get a working motherboard and put your hardware on it and see if works properly


    yeah thats what i was planning to do during the course of this week...but i would need to buy a new mobo for that
    i have worked up a list for am3+ compatable mobos that are in my current price range could you help me pick one out (sorry the prices are in pounds);
    Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Motherboard = http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5R9O46/?tag=pcp0f-21
    Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard = http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009FC3YJ8/?tag=xtremegaminer-20
    Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard = http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-M5A78L-M-USB3-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B0054U7HIO/ref=pd_bxgy_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1FC8X6NR4BWYC2MT2W
    ASRock N68-GS4 FX GeForce 7025 630a DualDDR3-1866 SATA2 = http://www.amazon.co.uk/N68-GS4-ASRock-GeForce-DualDDR3-1866-SATA2/dp/B013RJKG18/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1454872717&sr=1-16&keywords=amd+am3%2B+motherboard

    which one do you recommend?
  39. i have the 970A-UD3P, and i recommend. good oc options + good cooling in vital componentes (regulators and chipset). but try to find the Rev. 2.0
  40. maugusto said:
    i have the 970A-UD3P, and i recommend. good oc options + good cooling in vital componentes (regulators and chipset). but try to find the Rev. 2.0


    i found this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-970A-UD3P-Motherboard-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00F5R9O46/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1454911709&sr=1-1&keywords=Gigabyte+970A-UD3P+Rev+2.0
    do you mean this one?
  41. Yes that's the one you want.
  42. Cheers it me order the mobo and try changing out the parts...ill let you know what happens after :)
  43. ohh yeah and i wanted to know what happens if i run my graphics card without its drivers...doesnt it work the same as safe mode cause it doesnt use its 3d technology cause i tried that yesterday and it froze...so i wanted to know can i check whether the pciex16 bus have shorted out cause all my gpu slots are pciex16 and i have three of them with my asus m5a99x evo r2.0
  44. Best answer
    if the problem is in your PCI-e slots then you have 2 different problems:
    1 - It can be a cpu problem (as you know cpu controls pci-e lanes) but because the cpu is in good shape, the Data portion of the pci-e lanes is good;
    2 - PCI-e provides bad power to the GPU -> this is your problem, when the gpu requires more power your psu will only give some to the 6 pin or 8 pin connector, the pcie slot itself provides power to, it this fails you will have freezing or a crash problem (and currently this is your problem)
  45. maugusto said:
    if the problem is in your PCI-e slots then you have 2 different problems:
    1 - It can be a cpu problem (as you know cpu controls pci-e lanes) but because the cpu is in good shape, the Data portion of the pci-e lanes is good;
    2 - PCI-e provides bad power to the GPU -> this is your problem, when the gpu requires more power your psu will only give some to the 6 pin or 8 pin connector, the pcie slot itself provides power to, it this fails you will have freezing or a crash problem (and currently this is your problem)

    yeah true cause my computer freezes doing anything i could be writing an assignment using word or watching a youtube video no matter what i do it would just freeze.
    but one question this also makes the computer freeze during boot? having a bad pcie slot cause the computer also freezes on boot...cause it freezes just before the login screen time to time or it would freeze trying to restart the computer(haven't experienced freeze on shutdown)...and also it freezes on windows update
    so this all happens cause of a bad pcie slots?
    note: i have tried loading mac os x mavericks and i cant set up the users before it freezes cause the final step in setting up os x is to set up the users
  46. it can be a bad set of capacitors in the motherboard, note that a bad capacitor does not mean that the capacitor itself looks bad, the internal ESR can be too high or the capacitor is open, so for example you have about 5 capacitors do power up the pci-e slot, and one of them is bad, until the other 4 can't provide power your computer will stay fine, but when they run out of power (because the regulators don't make more power if one or more capacitors goes bad, and the capacitor itself cannot go more than the current µ they got (example 1000µ)) the computer starts to have problems.
  47. maugusto said:
    it can be a bad set of capacitors in the motherboard, note that a bad capacitor does not mean that the capacitor itself looks bad, the internal ESR can be too high or the capacitor is open, so for example you have about 5 capacitors do power up the pci-e slot, and one of them is bad, until the other 4 can't provide power your computer will stay fine, but when they run out of power (because the regulators don't make more power if one or more capacitors goes bad, and the capacitor itself cannot go more than the current µ they got (example 1000µ)) the computer starts to have problems.


    ohh okay...that makes sense let me try and get the motherboard and see if that chages anything...thanks for your help i shall keep you posted on the results but in the mean while my friend is lending me his motherboard to test my ram cause my other motherboard is ddr2 ram and my mobo has ddr3 ram just trying out the various possibilities untill my new mobo arrives but i highly doubt that anything will be wrong with the ram.
    Thanks a lot for all the help though :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Hardware Problem CPUs AMD Evo