Fx 6300 high temps

Arstotzka

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
So Ive been trying to use my new pc but im having some problems. Half an hour after I started using it (just to browse on the internet using chrome), my cpu temp gets really high, around 47C. I sometimes get spikes where my cpu goes to around 60C, and then drops. Thats without using heavy stuff like games and such. Im pretty sure thats not normal, so what could be causing it?

Solution
Actually, with most chips (but especially AMD CPUs), any temp readings under 40C are far from 100% accurate. But even for Intel chips, it's perfectly normal to run in the low 40s at idle & stay below 60C when operating.

As for the stock cooler...any stock cooler is going to cause problems if a) the heat sink is clogged, b) the thermal paste is incorrectly applied, c) the case doesn't have very good airflow, or d) you attempt to OC the CPU with the stock cooler. That holds true for both AMD & Intel.

I have the stock cooler on my FX-8320, but I also have the maximum case fans in my case (front, bottom & side intakes, rear & top exhaust), & my CPU stays below 60C even when gaming in BF4. So, check the heat sink, add more case...

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
47C is perfectly normal for any while in use. 60C during gameplay isn't necessarily bad, either, especially if it's only an occasional spike.

If you're worried about the temps, though, for a few bucks ($10-20 apiece) you can add more case fans to your case. Increased airflow = more air to cool your CPU/GPU = lower operating temps.

Arstotzka

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

Thanks! Its just that I saw a bunch of people with really good temps (25-30C), but I guess they didnt have the crappy stock cooler :D

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Actually, with most chips (but especially AMD CPUs), any temp readings under 40C are far from 100% accurate. But even for Intel chips, it's perfectly normal to run in the low 40s at idle & stay below 60C when operating.

As for the stock cooler...any stock cooler is going to cause problems if a) the heat sink is clogged, b) the thermal paste is incorrectly applied, c) the case doesn't have very good airflow, or d) you attempt to OC the CPU with the stock cooler. That holds true for both AMD & Intel.

I have the stock cooler on my FX-8320, but I also have the maximum case fans in my case (front, bottom & side intakes, rear & top exhaust), & my CPU stays below 60C even when gaming in BF4. So, check the heat sink, add more case fans if there's space, & for half the cost of an aftermarket cooler you'll be able to keep your temps plenty low.

Solution