r9 390 95c

David_182

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
hello i bought a asus strix r9 390 and it runs really hot like right now im just watching a video and typing and its at 68c it runs every game 95c i play games like rust,dayz,ark,arma 3. ill put my specs bellow

i7-4770k
evga ftw
2tb
120ssd
h100i
r9 390
cx 600w

Solution

I just wanted to clarify your post. Only some cards exhibited this issue although given your current temperatures we cannot rule out the possibility. The quickest way to find out...

KKAW

Admirable

95C is very hot.

Are you using MSI Afterburner to read the temperatures?

Side note: CX PSU's are very poor quality, if you have the chance/money you should upgrade it to one of the following:
XFX TS 650W
Seasonic M12II 620W
Antec HCG 620W
EVGA GS 650W

Havenost

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

Make sure you're using either 15.12 or 16.1 AMD drivers from the website.

The 15.7 drivers were broken where it locked your fan speed at 20% or just off all together.

The 15.11 drivers had issues remembering fan and overclock setting whenever you exit a game or rebooted your computer.

I just wanted to clarify your post. Only some cards exhibited this issue although given your current temperatures we cannot rule out the possibility. The quickest way to find out either way is to go into the radeon settings app (should be in your system tray) and click game > Global > Overdrive

In this panel you can see GPU temps and fan speed. Watch this value when your viewing a video and playing a game. It should increase as your GPU temp increases.

In addition, make sure that the interior of your case isn't hot. Crack open the side panel during operation and make sure that temps are getting too high during operation. It's normal to feel hot air rising from the GPU but if the entire case is being heated then your GPU is likely not dissipating heat properly (and/or your fans aren't doing their job).

If not of the above seems suspect then well have to conclude that it's likely the thermal paste on the GPU. In this case, you could ask for a replacement card. Of course you could always re-apply the paste yourself if you are feeling adventurous.

Solution