R9 390 vs r9 390x vs 980ti Do I save £150-£250 by getting and r9 series or spend the money and buy the 980ti,is there a ma

Joesims

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I'm new to PCs gaming and building my own pic,was wondering if anyone with good knowledge could help me out?

Solution
980ti will be the goal and it will be perfect, but R9 390x will do the job plenty fine at 1440p.

BUT, there are new GPU around the corner released by AMD/nvidia, so, its your choice, if you really need to play TODAY, go for 980Ti if you can affort it, else, some some bucks and go for newest GPU that Wisecracker mentioned. (I choosed second option, i'm waiting too!)

Joesims

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I would like to play 1440p or 1440p ultra wide,
I5 4690k
Msi z97s sli krait edition
Hyper X fury white ddr3 1866mhz 16gb
Kraken x61
1tb hard drive
250gb Samsung ssd
Evga 850w Psu fully modular
Nzxt s340 white
Windows 10

If you look at game benchmarks you will see that the 980ti is one of the fastest cards available. As far as a 390 vs a 390x goes I couldn't justify buying the 390x-here in Australia a 390x is around $120-150 more than their respective 390 model and the performance gain is not that substantial.

Now I'm not sure what your question is exactly add your title seems to be cut off but if you're asking for which card to get then it will depend on many things such as your budget, the type of games you will play and at what settings and also do you have a preference over amd or nvidia

Joesims

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
The difference in the uk between the 390 and 390x is around £80, and I was wondering out of these three GPus what one would be best, I play bf4, witcher 3, cs:go, cod, Theif and sky rim, anything really oh and far cry 4, I like all games really,and ultra setting maybe high, and no I don't have a preference

Joesims

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I don't really have a budget as I'm working and don't have bills as I'm 17, just means I'd have to save a little longer, and also what monitors would you recommend, I like the x34 for g sync but not too sure on a widescreen free sync or is it work getting the 200hz 35" 2580x1080?

Joesims

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
@wisecraker what do you mean sorry, I'm really new to pic gaming? I know pascal should be releasing sometime this year but don't know why people would wait

980ti will be the goal and it will be perfect, but R9 390x will do the job plenty fine at 1440p.

BUT, there are new GPU around the corner released by AMD/nvidia, so, its your choice, if you really need to play TODAY, go for 980Ti if you can affort it, else, some some bucks and go for newest GPU that Wisecracker mentioned. (I choosed second option, i'm waiting too!)

Solution
Well they are expecting the new architecture from both amd and Nvidia to be a significant step-up from this current generation but at the same time if one was willing to wait an indefinite amount of time for something thats "coming out soon and its better" then no one would ever upgrade.

To answer your question both the 390 and the 390x will do a good job at 1440p but you have to understand that as you increase the resolution the game becomes more demanding as well. Games such as CS:GO, skyrim and even CoD can be easily played at high/max settings with either of these cards but The Witcher 3 is a completely different beast all together. It is a very demanding game that will push even the strongest of cards to its limits.

If it were me and had the same wants as you then I'd be looking at a 980ti with a nice Ultra-Wide 2560x1080 monitor or if you are more into FPS games then a G-sync monitor with a high refresh rate. A 3440x1440 monitor, such as the x34 predator, would be a marvel to look at but I imagine it will be extremely hard to try and max out games on it.

First off; Nice build, you've obviously done some research or taken some good advice on it.

Take your time over the monitor selection, it's the single most important part of the system from a usability point of view, a good one will make using the system a pleasure, a bad one will give you eyestrain and headaches at the very least.

For an all new, startup build I wouldn't recommend a standard 60Hz monitor, gameplay-particularly in fast paced games-is so much smoother and more responsive on a Gsync or Freesync display.

Monitors come in different flavours: TN is fast but their colours aren't always super, they also suffer from 'colour shift' where the colours change if you view the display off centre. This is far less of a problem than in the past and my own TN panel is more than good enough for gaming and movie viewing. IPS and PLS displays are a little slower but have better colour reproduction and don't suffer from the colour shift of TN displays. I'm not aware of any Freesync or Gsync MVA, PVA or VA panels but they are the slowest of the bunch and have the best colour reproduction.
Fast Freesync displays attract a significant price premium over their stock 60Hz companions, and Gsync displays are more expensive still, both will effectively lock you to either AMD (freesync) or Nvidia (Gsync).

Now I'll just throw a few spanners into the works. ;)
With recent price cuts the R9 Nano is only <>£30 more than the R9 390X and it's a better card at 1440 rez, despite 'only' having 4Gb of onboard memory.
Try as I might, I can't justify the big price hike of the GTX980Ti over the R9 Nano, especially when you factor in the higher cost of a compatible Gsync display to partner the Nvidia card.

I'd go for a R9 Nano and a IPS 1440 display to match it-just be VERY careful when selecting the display-Freesync is an open standard so not all monitors support a wide range of operation, you should look for one that spans at least 48-144HZ, check the specs carefully.