FX-6300 Overclock on Gigabyte-990FXA R5 Temp Issues

Spencer_4

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Okay so I have been playing around with overclocking my FX-6300 (FIRST TIMER) for a while now and I am having some strange temp issues. My package temp while stress testing is ALWAYS higher than the socket temp...and from what I have read this is not the norm. Currently I have achieved a somewhat stable OC at 4.3 GHZ and ~ 1.39V. I have disabled Core Performance Boost and disabled power saving (C&Q, C1E, SVM, C6, APM). In that same page I left CPU unlock to enabled and HPC mode enabled as well. I did set the NB Core voltage to 1.2V and the CPU PLL to 2.65V, these setting seemed to help a bit with bringing my voltage down on my cpu. I have also set LLC to medium as with higher settings at load my voltage would spike pretty high. I am keeping my RAM at 1600 MHZ, not overclocking it at all at the moment. My clock is achieved purely by increasing the clock no FSB manipulation, as i have tried messing with this and could not achieve anything stable at high clocks. I have kept the NB freq and HT link freq at stock.

So for the temps... at prime95 for 10-20 mins at this current clock my CPU package temp in HWmonitor is getting up to 61C but the socket temp is usually 5-7 degrees lower than this at around 55-57C. I have tried pushing to 4.4 GHZ at 1.425V but the package temp got up around 64C on the package and I couldn't keep it stable and I'm not sure if that was due to temps or not enough voltage. I do know that the my case (Corsair 200R) is known for not have great cooling but I did add a 120 mm front intake and 1 140mm bottom intake and 1 140MM top exhaust right above cpu cooler to help with air flow.

My current build is:

CPU: AMD FX-6300
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3-R5
CPU Cooler: 212 EVO
GPU: NVIDIA 660Ti
RAM: 2X4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze
Case: Corsair 200R

I do not currently have any screen shots or pictures of bios but I can upload some later if they would help.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

I have similar setup, only with FX6350BE (it was worth 20 bucks more). It's running at 4.713 GHz 24/7 on mixture of multiplier and FSB of 205 MHz. 1.325v. Tried with 212 Evo but it just didn't cut it. Now under Mugen3 cooler with 2 fans it's not hitting over real 55c per core.
As other programs like HW Monitor don't give accurate temperature and voltage readings, I use AMD Overdrive program for monitoring. Package temperatures can be misleading, it's better to stick with core temps.

It was throttling after few minutes of full load at 4.5 GHz, just couldn't cool it right.
To find quality of the processor, look at it's Stepping value, C0 is best and c3 worst. Black edition is always C0.
That and "Silicone lottery" determines it's overclocking ability. I may not hit jackpot either because a friend of mine has one going at 5 GHz but on water cooling and I think 1.505v.