FX-8320 FPS Drops from High FPS to low?

rnunes416

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Hi, pretty recently my system has been dropping in FPS on many games (DiRT Rally, League of Legends, CS:GO, etc.) regularly, with short times of low FPS that then return to my normal FPS rates. I'm not entirely sure if it is the CPU, but it seems like it is, as I have never had other problems and recently upgraded my GPU from a GTX 660 to a GTX 970.

Admittedly I also think it is the CPU beacuse I am not sure if the overclock is what it should be. This is my current rig, and I have been playing with the FX-8320's overclock a bit. I do understand that my CPU is in need of an upgrade soon, but is there any way for the current moment I can stop it from having major drops? Just today I was watching my Resource Monitor while playing DiRT Rally, and when the FPS dropped from 60's to 20's, it seemed one core of my CPU wasn't as high as the rest. These little drops seem to happen for what feels like ages, (Usually in LoL right as a teamfight starts :fou:) , but eventually the FPS comes back up.

Is there any way to stop this, and any decent, straight-forward overclock guides for my CPU? Most guides I have seen so far either don't seem to match my BIOS or just don't make sense for someone who doesn't have much experience.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Return it to stock speeds and see it it helps. You may actually have to underclock it to keep it from throttling. 125w cpus don't run very well on cheapo AM3+ motherboards. The only REAL solution is to get a better motherboard.

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Do you happen to know what the temp of your cpu was when playing? I would do some stress tests and see if it is possibly overheating when the frames drop. Thats what it sounds like it could be to me.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I'm going to assume that you are using a crappy 760/780 series motherboard and that it is throttling your 125w cpu under load because it can't contain the heat from your overclock. That is usually the problem when somebody has a FX and has performance issues.

So what motherboard do you have?

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
CTurbo got this, probably listen to him on this one! I dont usually overclock, i know how to but i like my equiptment to last as long as possible. But ill agree with him sounds like heat.

rnunes416

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

I will run some games again and watch the temps. I hope it isn't heat, my case has pretty adequate cooling and the CPU has an after stock cooler, albeit I'm not sure if the water cooling system is top of the line.

EDIT: Ran DiRT Rally again, temps stayed fine as I said below, still got FPS drops and CPU drops :(

rnunes416

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

Not sure how crappy this is, but I have the Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard . I don't know too much about Mobos, but from what I could tell I didn't see anything against using this one.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
It's not completely terrible, but it's not good enough to overclock a 125w cpu on for sure. I would not have recommended a 125w cpu for it at all as it may not even be able to run at stock speeds. Don't bother watching temps because throttling will ensure that temps stay in check. You need to be watching cpu clock speed. My bet is it will be running at 1.4 or 1.7ghz under load.

rnunes416

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

Okay :( when I built the computer, I don't think I knew enough about CPU overclocking enough to take this into account. In the near future I plan to change to an i5 with a good mobo though so it will be better.

Anything I can do now to stop those spikes? I just played a game and my temps stayed fine, but the CPU was dipping every once and a while. Will I just have to return it to stock clock/revert the small voltage change I may have added, bite the bullet and just play with the stock CPU?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Return it to stock speeds and see it it helps. You may actually have to underclock it to keep it from throttling. 125w cpus don't run very well on cheapo AM3+ motherboards. The only REAL solution is to get a better motherboard.

Solution

rnunes416

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

Will do. I used to not overclock it much, and didn't have too much of a problem. Was just hoping to get 4.0 GhZ. A slight side note, would an upgrade to an i5-4960k with a new LG1150 mobo be better for me to upgrade? I would like to push my 970 to its potential and play games on higher settings.

Thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate it, these problems were driving me insane!