HP P6 2388 EA Memory Upgrade

boldini

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Hi I will my computer be able to use DDR3 2133 MHz r or is it a waste of money or than the 1600 MHz from standard, I have 8gb on one stick? also I have a 3tb7200 HDD sata drive what upgrade drive a second SSD drive with O/S on it or a hybrid drive to replace ? I have upgraded processor from AMD A10 5700 to A10 6700 thanks

Solution
Officially, you won't be able to use 2133 MHz, but OEM specifications are known to be inaccurate as BIOS updates and new chips are released. For example, 3rd gen (sort of) Richland chips are 100% FM2-socket compatible but HP doesn't officially support these chips, and I had a hard time finding people that had successfully upgraded to, say, an A10-6700. That said, I can guarantee you you can use 1866 MHz memory with the A10-5700 you have.

About the storage drive, definitely don't replace your 3TB with a hybrid drive unless you have another system to put the old drive in. An SSD for your OS/apps makes much more sense in this day and age, and if it's any difference to you, I'm personally running a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO with a 3TB HDD.

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Officially, you won't be able to use 2133 MHz, but OEM specifications are known to be inaccurate as BIOS updates and new chips are released. For example, 3rd gen (sort of) Richland chips are 100% FM2-socket compatible but HP doesn't officially support these chips, and I had a hard time finding people that had successfully upgraded to, say, an A10-6700. That said, I can guarantee you you can use 1866 MHz memory with the A10-5700 you have.

About the storage drive, definitely don't replace your 3TB with a hybrid drive unless you have another system to put the old drive in. An SSD for your OS/apps makes much more sense in this day and age, and if it's any difference to you, I'm personally running a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO with a 3TB HDD.

Solution

boldini

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Thanks Voltoid, one thing I forgot to ask is also is there any benefit to running 4 x 8gb memory to use full slots or would it be not used because it is not needed ? also does having faster memory speed make the processor run faster if it is capable ?, best regards

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
There's no bandwidth benefit from running 4 sticks vs 2, but you do have the advantage of having, well, 32GB of RAM. I have 16GB in my system and I've never come close to maxing it out. Then again, I haven't done a lot of RAM-intensive things like photo/video editing, but even so, you'd hit the processing limits of your CPU before running out of RAM. You'd be spending a fair bit of money to get...bragging rights, I guess. And yes, having faster memory equates to better performance in some cases, and in yours it'll give a boost to your graphics processing capabilities since your integrated GPU relies solely on system RAM, so the faster the better.

boldini

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016