FX-8320 bottlenecking GTX 970 Strixx 4gb - Increase Overclock?

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Gents/Ladies

I hope you are all well.

I have water-cooled my processor and overclocked it from 3.5Ghz to 4.4Ghz using a H80i GT from Corsair. Do you think I can push it and further with my current set-up?

I know this won't necessarily sort out the bottlenecking I experience in GW2 and StarCitizen, but I would love to push this chip to 4.8Ghz or 5.0Ghz. I have heard it is possible with my components.

Current hardware listed below

AMD FX-8320 Piledriver - overclocked from 3.5Ghz to 4.4Ghz
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
Corsair H80i Gt
Asus 970 Strixx 4gb
SSD and HDD
Corsair Spec-02

Let me know your thoughts.

Much Obliged

a_great_big_tree

Solution
Download and use AMD OverDrive ---- Under the 'CPU Status' tab, monitor the *Thermal Margin*

It will also provide an accurate representation of your VCore, and you can manage any 'core-throttling'

An FX-8320 at 4.4GHz ain't holdin' your GTX 970 back much if any. Your ability to go higher will be largely determined by the *Chip Lottery* and your current VCore.

Keep your volts down and your chances for success are greater.

It's a common issue with the FX 8000 series and the 970 and up they just don't run well together.

Extra OC won't help.

LOL :lol: Wut?

Blackbird is talking about the motherboard VRMs. The 970 chipset can't handle high overclocks unlike other chipsets like the 990FX chipsets.

Since you already have all the parts, you could try it yourself by gradually increasing the overclock and see how you do.
Stress test with OCCT not prime95.
At any signs of instability or overheating, back off.

I doubt you will succeed.
You are looking for levels than only the FX9590 can achieve.
That is a specially binned chip with a factory clock rate of 4.7and a 220w target.

I think you have gone as far as possible with the FX line.

But, if cpu is your limitation, you will not significantly reduce that limitation by a few higher multipliers.

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
I have done stresstesting with Prime95 and if I go beyond 4.4Ghz, core 4 and core 1 fail the test and start doing their own thing.

I think it is a chip lottery thing. You get good ones, you get bad ones.

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

Thanks ;0