R9 390 overheating need fix

LeeroyAdams

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
So my problem here is that my new r9 390 gpu keeps overheating when it shouldn't be and it does not seem to matter when the fan speed is at. My full build is here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BRVCNG . I can play high-end games like Witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider at 50-60 fps on ultra, my fans are always at 100% now and cpu temps are around 30-40 and gpu temps start out at around 50-60 but increase over time until my pc shuts down. I also have an after market cpu cooler, a hyper evo 212, which takes up a lot of space in my $50 mid tower case. So, is the case the problem or just the gpu?

BTW: nothing is overclocked

Solution
I would check airflow in the case first, turn the pc on and feel around. Make sure that there is plenty of air flowing over and around the card. Im going to assume that there is plenty of room since it is a mid tower. If you have enough airflow then the next thing you want to look at is, did the factory put enough heat paste on the heatsink on the gpu. Normally yes it should have came ready to go out of the box but some times they mess up at the factory. To do this shouldnt be to hard, take the card out of the pc. Check for all the screw locations on the shroud for the fans. You want to unplug the fans from the board and unscrew all the screws on the plastic shroud, then there should be four screws on the backside of the board itself...

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I would check airflow in the case first, turn the pc on and feel around. Make sure that there is plenty of air flowing over and around the card. Im going to assume that there is plenty of room since it is a mid tower. If you have enough airflow then the next thing you want to look at is, did the factory put enough heat paste on the heatsink on the gpu. Normally yes it should have came ready to go out of the box but some times they mess up at the factory. To do this shouldnt be to hard, take the card out of the pc. Check for all the screw locations on the shroud for the fans. You want to unplug the fans from the board and unscrew all the screws on the plastic shroud, then there should be four screws on the backside of the board itself facing outwards. Those are the four screws holding the heatsink down on the gpu processor. Once you get it all off just look and see, there should be coverage on the whole chip, and on the underside of the heatsink. Clean them both off real good with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and reapply new heatpaste. You only need a "pea" size amount right in the middle of the chip. Put it all back together and try it again and see what temps you get. I had heard about some heat issues with the 390, maybe that will help you out. Your cpu temps look good. :D

Solution