970 sli upgrade to single 980ti,worth it ?

nathan007

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
CPU : Intel Core i7 4790K
MOBO: ASUS Maximus VII Hero Motherboard
RAM : Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FRK2/16 16GB (2x8GB) Red
GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB X2
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
SSD : Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD
PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Gold Power Supply
CPU COOLER : Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler

i have 2x gigabytes g1 gaming gtx 970 in sli right now and wondering is its worth upgrading to a single gtx980ti?

i play games on 1440p monitor

gridironcj

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
That's sort of a downgrade, considering you'd need SLI support for the games you play and amazing SLI profiles as well. If you want better performance, either get another 980 Ti or wait for Pascal and get a GP100 card. I would recommend the latter. Also, do you really want to be stuck with 3.5GB of VRAM for 1440p gaming? Yuck.

@Nathan0007 I'll start off by saying that I'm a huge fan of SLI. WIth that said: Normally I would state that it's a worthwhile upgrade, as many games lately haven't been releasing with optimized SLI profiles. But in this case, we are so close to Pascal releasing, I just don't think it's a good time to make that horizontal upgrade. If I were you, I'd wait and see what's announced next month. The rumor is that the mainstream Pascal architecture cards will be announced. This probably will not include the Titanium line; GTX 1080 Ti. But if I were you, I'd be prepared for the new "Ti" cards to be available in the next 3-4 months and will then sell the two 970s and upgrade to one or two 1080 Ti's. That's what I would do.

By the way, I really like your build a lot. That is some serious quality. In particular I'm an admirer of the PSU, CPU cooler, SSD and motherboard. I'm not a fan of the Seagate hard drive brand, as I've owned tons of them in the past. They have fantastic warranty replacement, and good technical support, but I've experience way too many failures. If you're ever in the market for another hard drive, I'd strongly recommend HGST (Hitachi) which I believe was bought out by Western Digital. The irony is that Hitachi makes MUCH higher quality hard drives than it's parent company. Be cool.