Solved

Can I keep my OS if I move my hard drive to a new computer?

So my current computer is trash. I bought a new motherboard, Graphics card, CPU, everything is new. I really don't want to have to buy a new OS, so I was wondering if it's possible to just move the old hard drive to my new build and KEEP the operating system.

And if it is possible, what are the steps needed to be taken? I want to do this perfectly and not mess up.
Thanks,
-NOT_PROVIDED_291

UPDATE: I forgot to include that this hard drive has already been cleared of any and all applications used on the previous PC
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about move hard drive computer
  1. Some people's computers OS still work after the transfer but sometimes it keeps on crashing. My friend tried and his worked. Here is a link to more info. http://superuser.com/questions/412498/what-would-happen-if-i-take-my-hard-drive-out-of-my-current-pc-and-put-it-in-a-n
  2. Best answer
    You do realize that part of the cost of a new build *is* the operating system (even if you don't want to spend another $100).

    The answer to your question is "Maybe".

    Did you purchase an OEM version or Retail version of the OS when you built your computer (or did it come pre-installed on a computer you purchased)?

    If you purchased and installed an OEM version of Windows (or it was preinstalled), then per the license agreement, you cannot transfer that OS to another computer.

    That said, many people have reported success in re-activating their old OS on a new Windows install (often needing to contact Microsoft for reactivation).

    If you purchased a Retail version of Windows, you have the option of moving that license to your new system provide it is not used in the old system any longer.

    Note: A clean install of Windows is recommended when moving from one system to another.

    -Wolf sends
  3. What windows variety?
  4. Wolfshadw said:
    You do realize that part of the cost of a new build *is* the operating system (even if you don't want to spend another $100).

    The answer to your question is "Maybe".

    Did you purchase an OEM version or Retail version of the OS when you built your computer (or did it come pre-installed on a computer you purchased)?

    If you purchased and installed an OEM version of Windows (or it was preinstalled), then per the license agreement, you cannot transfer that OS to another computer.

    That said, many people have reported success in re-activating their old OS on a new Windows install (often needing to contact Microsoft for reactivation).

    If you purchased a Retail version of Windows, you have the option of moving that license to your new system provide it is not used in the old system any longer.

    Note: A clean install of Windows is recommended when moving from one system to another.

    -Wolf sends


    Thanks for your response. I do realize the OS is apart of the costs of the new build. That goes without saying. However, if YOU could somehow avoid paying $100 for something you already have, wouldn't you take that?

    Since the entire computer was pre-built, the OS was also pre-installed. So I guess I won't be able to transfer the hard drive and still keep the OS.

    Thanks again for your response.
  5. NOT_PROVIDED_291 said:
    Since the entire computer was pre-built, the OS was also pre-installed. So I guess I won't be able to transfer the hard drive and still keep the OS.

    Yeah thanks for that howdy-doo piece of critical information. Bundled software = not tranferrable.
  6. jsmithepa said:
    NOT_PROVIDED_291 said:
    Since the entire computer was pre-built, the OS was also pre-installed. So I guess I won't be able to transfer the hard drive and still keep the OS.

    Yeah thanks for that howdy-doo piece of critical information. Bundled software = not tranferrable.


    K
Ask a new question

Read More

Storage Computers Graphics Cards Hard Drives