i3 6300 GTX 970 vs. i5 6600k GTX 960

Ziggy Stardust

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Yes, I know the 6600k and GTX 970 is the best option but it is also the most expensive. I could get an i3 6300 w/ a GTX 970 or an i5 6600k w/ a GTX 960 for about a $100 less and I want to stick to my budget. I want to know what would be better for gaming, the i3 w/ 970 or i5 w/960. I'll be playing at 1080p and want to play GTA V, 2k16, Fallout 4, and battlefield 4. I plan on getting an ASRock Z170m Exteme4 matx so I can overclock. I am new to pc hardware so if there are better options tell me.

Solution
GTA V, Fallout 4 and Battlefield 4 can get pretty CPU heavy, so having a stronger CPU would definitely help in those games. Now whether getting a stronger CPU at the cost of a significant amount of GPU horsepower is another question. You'd probably get better average framerates with the i3 and 970 due to the faster GPU, but your minimum framerates would be worse than the i5 and 960 build due to the games you play being rather CPU bound. I guess it comes down to whether you want higher but more inconsistent framerates or lower but more consistent framerates. Personally, I'd just wait a bit, save up the extra $100 or so and get the i5 with a 970, that way you have the GPU horsepower to handle the graphically demanding titles without...
GTA V, Fallout 4 and Battlefield 4 can get pretty CPU heavy, so having a stronger CPU would definitely help in those games. Now whether getting a stronger CPU at the cost of a significant amount of GPU horsepower is another question. You'd probably get better average framerates with the i3 and 970 due to the faster GPU, but your minimum framerates would be worse than the i5 and 960 build due to the games you play being rather CPU bound. I guess it comes down to whether you want higher but more inconsistent framerates or lower but more consistent framerates. Personally, I'd just wait a bit, save up the extra $100 or so and get the i5 with a 970, that way you have the GPU horsepower to handle the graphically demanding titles without having to worry about CPU bottlenecking on more CPU bound games.

Solution