850 Evo Steam games transfer, NOT OS

vredstein

Honorable
May 5, 2013
My computer currently has Win 7 on a small Corsair SSD, Steam games on a 1 tb WD Black drive.

I have a new 1 tb Samsung 850 Evo SSD in a box.

I want to install the 850 Evo and transfer JUST my Steam games onto it. The Steam folder is currently on the WD drive. Again, my win 7 is installed on the Corsair SSD, not the WD Black.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems Samsung's data migration software requires the source drive to contain the operating system. The software's PDF states, "This software will run only if the operating system is installed on the Source Disk."

It been years since I've installed a new drive and I don't remember the steps. Can someone run me through the steps in initializing finalizing this process.

Solution

Hi again, vredstein! If you plan to use the SSD as a primary drive in the future, you might want to consider using a cloning software. If you want to use it only for your Steam games, then you'd just need to follow the step-by-step provided by Steam's KB. Since you already have the OS and every other driver that your system needs onto the WD Black, I don't think there's anything additional for you to install. I guess installing the SSD's brand-specific utility will be a good idea, though. It will...

vredstein

Honorable
May 5, 2013

Thanks for the reply. This does seem to be the most straightforward approach. I'm still not sure if I have to install any drivers or software for the new SSD, or simply plug it in and check to see if it's recognized in the BIOS.

Hi again, vredstein! If you plan to use the SSD as a primary drive in the future, you might want to consider using a cloning software. If you want to use it only for your Steam games, then you'd just need to follow the step-by-step provided by Steam's KB. Since you already have the OS and every other driver that your system needs onto the WD Black, I don't think there's anything additional for you to install. I guess installing the SSD's brand-specific utility will be a good idea, though. It will help you keep track of the drive's health and make sure that its firmware is up-to-date.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution