FX-6300 vs A10 7850K

G

I'm also buying a R7 360 and 8GB ram.
Need to play games like, GTA 5, Witcher 3, Blade and Soul. At least 35+ Frame (as long as quality is medium or above)

Solution
The FX-6300 would be your better option because of two reasons. 1. you are also buying a graphics card. 2. It's 6 cores vs 4 cores. The CPUs require different motherboard socket types so be sure you are getting the right one :)

cheers

xbizzaroz

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
The FX-6300 would be your better option because of two reasons. 1. you are also buying a graphics card. 2. It's 6 cores vs 4 cores. The CPUs require different motherboard socket types so be sure you are getting the right one :)

cheers

Solution

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
I would...

Actually go Intel i3-4370 with an appropriate LGA1150 board. Pricewise - about the same, and it's dual core with hyperthreading with a pretty high base clock. It'll be pretty fast.

That being said, if it's strictly between FX6300 and A10-7850k, you're already getting a dGPU, so you can go right to the FX6300 as the hex-core will offer more performance than the 7850 overall.

Unless you have a reason for sticking with AMD (as in you have a mobo lying around) - the i3 is the better performing part for only a small amount of extra cash overall. Plus you have some upgrade options to even better performance with the i5 or i7 CPUs. Meanwhile, the FX6300 is only bested by the FX8xxx/9xxx series and the A10-7850 is the top of the line quad core for AMD which is still slower overall than the dual core i3. The FX6300 and A10 are both unlocked, but that just leads down another rabbit hole with overclocking and more parts.

Just as a comparison:
i3-4670/Gigabyte board/8gb RAM: $227.00
FX-6350/Gigabyte board/8gb RAM: $203.00
A10-7870k/Gigabyte board/8gb RAM: 213.00

For this, I picked the best processor for the series, and the least expensive Gigabyte board for each socket (I've always found Gigabyte boards to be very reliable and solid, plus it keeps it fair), and all have 8gb of Crucial Ballistic Sport 2x4GB DDR3-1600mhz RAM.

Overall, as mentioned, the i3 setup is only $20.00 higher than the lowest AMD setup. Gaming tests at 1080p between the i3 and the A10 show the i3 beating it in everything with a GTX770 dGPU, so I would rule out the A10. So - the FX-6350 would outperform the A10 I'm pretty sure, leaving it somewhat of a toss up. The other thing to consider though is the AMD setup is significantly hotter (90+ watts) while the Intel i3 is only a 50w processor.

So - all things given, the i3 would be the best overall performer, but a little more expensive, but a cooler chip. it would be my first choice.

Second choice would be the FX6300/6350. Perfectly good CPU, and a little cheaper than either the A10 or i3 setup.

Last choice would be the A10. Higher price than the FX, cheaper than the i3. Same thermals as the FX6300. Lowest performance of the three.

JasonL265

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015

Err where are you shopping? you can get the FX-6300 and an ASRock 970M PRO3 board from a micro center for like $130 bucks including tax (if you go for the 760G chipset, you can get it for $110). They have this $40 off combo that isn't available for Intel builds (only $20 off and even then cheapest combo is around $200)

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Well, these were off pcpartpicker.com - and while combo deals might be available to get them even cheaper, these are just individual part configurations. pcpartpicker doesn't reflect those pricing combo deals or special promos.

If I wanted to I could probably get that price down even more. H81 motherboard on eBay for $25.00. Or I could go two generations back with a LGA 1156 motherboard and fit it with a 4core/8thread Xeon for dirt cheap which would still be incredibly powerful. I was just putting out relative pricing using new parts available individually to get a relative frame of reference for performance vs price.

Heck, I picked up a 1u server with a Xeon X3450, 4gb ECC ram, and an Enterprise WD 500GB drive for $90 shipped. Remount that setup in an ATX case, outfit it with any decent GPU and it would mop the floor with that FX6300 for under $350 total cost, but is that a fair comparison of price vs performance? No.

When it comes to computer hardware for the most part these days there arent many bad parts, there are just bad prices. At full price, vs performance, the i3 is better than the FX6300. At $40.00 off full list price, the FX does become the better deal, I don't disagree with that at all.

Martin1982

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
Always go intel if you can afford it. No question that intel is 2-3 generations ahead of amd.
But you have to ask yourself what can I afford, do i really need a 340$ i7 to play games in 1080p

I have both an i5 4690k and my fx8350. And an Apu 6800k Htpc don't buy this for gaming, just don't.

G

I can probably get a i5-6400. Problem is though, I can't buy a gpu and I would have to use the integrated graphics.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So, the question becomes do you get a good base, and upgrade parts as cash becomes available and just deal with lower end games for now, ending up with a really good pc, OR get a crappy base, that's not really upgradable later, and end up with a mediocre pc that'll barely play games at mediocre settings now.

Personally, I'd go for the i5, deal with low end games for a minute, then get a decent gpu later. That i5 will handle any gpu, any game easily. The amd cpus will be limited, mobo's are limited, so frankly not worth the effort, just to play a game or 2 now. Be better to buy a ps4 or xbone until such time as budget allows for a decent pc that'll be around for a few years without living past its effective life expectancy.

Edit: skylake Iris graphics are easily as good, if not better than the amd APU's, so there is hope.

G

I was going for a i3-6100 before since it would save a whole heap of money (since I'm buying 2). Should I get a i3-6100 and get a better gpu or i5-6400? I don't plan to upgrade fast too. (4-5 years perhaps)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvSY4QZrFk
^ Probably should watch that. Doesn't have a major different. But I'm not sure how long the 2 cores would last.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you are planning for the long term, I'd just go ahead and splurge for the i5. The i3 is a really good deal at its price, but it remains a dual core at heart and could run into issues with games demanding 4 cores like starwars and gta:V. Currently those games are seeing thread count, not core count so as long as HT is enabled, you are good, but it could become an issue.

G

i5-6400 then? Problem is, I will have to give up the gpu though...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For now, and not getting an r7 360 is no big loss, its a mediocre gpu at best and not that much better than the i5's iris graphics. What you haven't mentioned is the psu. To really open up and be able to play the games you mentioned, you are looking at a gtx960 or r9 380, both less than $200, but the 380 requires a 550w psu (watch for newegg sales on xfx) or the 960 needs at least a 430w psu. (same as r7 360)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $323.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-10 03:06 EST-0500
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $254.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-10 03:11 EST-0500

For the price, Intel will blow the socks off the amd system, will handle anything you can throw at it, will handle any gpu upto a gtx980ti easily. With the 6300, you'd be looking at a r9 380 for a good match, and thats with OC on the cpu. Don't sell yourself short, cutting corners will only hurt you in the long run.