New FX-9590, games hard freeze ~5min into playing

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Just installed a new amd fx-9590, and about 5 minutes after starting up and playing Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the game hard freezes, I can't do anything at all, not even alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete, and I am forced to hard reset my pc. No error message upon reboot, it's not a bsod, just a complete hard lock for seemingly no reason.

The first few boots I was dealing with some temp issues, but windows prompted me to "restart to apply these changes". I assume that was its auto-detect chipset driver update thing? could that have been the issue? should I manually try to update those drivers, or just go for a windows reinstall? or even a bios update? i'm at a loss here.

Temps are fine while playing. OpenHWM shows a high of 55, low of 30, pretty expected with air cooling on this chip. PC is also fine doing non-game related things like browsing the internet or watching streams, no crashes there.

edit: mobo is a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3

Solution

The solution for you is to down-clock your 9590 in your BIOS. Set it to stock 8350 settings (4ghz base clock). Then you can play around with slowly raising the multiplier and voltage till its stable.
Many people come here with problems on those 220W processors. Most likely causes are unsuitable motherboards, closely followed by insufficient airflow and cooling over the VRMs on the motherboard.

After that it's issues with current and unsuitable PSUs. AMD recommends 1000W+ PSUs for a reason.

AIO liquid coolers especially cuts wown on the airflow in the case and over the motherboard components.

More I can't tell you, since you omitted a number of crucial bits of information. Maybe if you provide details on your motherboard, cooling, PSU, environmental temperature and why you are not measuring temperatures with AMD Overdrive which is the only reliable monitor for AMD processors, we can help you more.

Here's a good article for you to read in the meantime: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

like I said motherboard is a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3,
OCZ 700w PSU
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B aircooler
ambient temp is low, it's winter, I live on the northern east coast.

will install overdrive when I get home, but I am fairly certain the issue is not temp related, as temps never spike higher than 55 during the short 5 minutes of gaming I am actually able to maintain, on neither openhwm or coretemp

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

I see, will definitely switch to overdrive as main monitoring program.

I looked around the site and apparently this is a very common problem with this particular cpu, and there are tons of unsolved threads from a little under a year ago. makes me wonder if these people just gave up and RMA'd? or cbf to share solution :kaola:

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
it seems more now that this chip is just an unstable piece of garbage. best i can gather from these thread is that you have to actually underclock this chip, effectively undoing the factory overclock, in order to get it to not crash every 5 minutes. However I have absolutely no experience in doing this sort of thing, and wondering if I should just return it and go with an intel chip + new mobo...

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

The solution for you is to down-clock your 9590 in your BIOS. Set it to stock 8350 settings (4ghz base clock). Then you can play around with slowly raising the multiplier and voltage till its stable.

Solution

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

I have absolutely no idea how to do this though. On some other TH threads they said this was easily done via AMD Overdrive, is that a viable method too? Or must I do it via my bios

I believe my mobo, gigabyte-990FXA-UD3, has UEFI bios

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

Do it in the BIOS, not Overdrive. Simply start with setting the CPU Multiplier to 20 (called CPU Clock Ratio in your BIOS)

Here is a comprehensive guide someone put together. It might look intimidating at first, but its really not that hard. Think of it this way: your system is already unstable, so what do you have to lose by learning how to do this :)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1434322/amd-multiplier-overclocking-guide-vishera-bulldozer-phenom-more-ga-990fxa-ud5-rev1-1-non-uefi-bios-example

Here is a video as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wos7BspiD3o

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

i did it, but i'm not sure if it worked. the changable fields read
CPU CLOCK RATIO: 20.00
CPU FREQUENCY 4.00GHz but it is grayed out, and the text next to both still read 23.50 and 4.70GHz respectively.

The info box for CPU CLOCK RATIO reads "Set cpu ratio if cpu ratio is unlocked". Does this mean I have to scroll down and set CPU UNLOCK to enabled? It is currently disabled.

edit: tried booting and got boot failure lol. definitely didn't do it correctly...

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

CPU Unlock I believe has to do with enabling disabled cores, so you shouldn't need to change that.

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Thank you so much CooLWoLF, this stopped the crashing, however at the price of a pretty noticeable performance hit. I was getting better fps with my old Phenom II @ 3.4ghz. Should I just return this chip and get an 8320, if i'm just going to be underclocking it to those settings anyway? Or even shell out for an intel chip + new mobo at this point...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, if you have the option to return the CPU, I absolutely would. The 9590 is a giant pain -- I've argued that it's the most disappointing mainstream CPU released since the last Pentium 4s -- and really, it doesn't do anything that makes it worth the headache. Go down to an 8320/8350 or switch over to a newer Intel platform.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

Returning the chip for another FX cpu wouldn't make much sense; all the 8xxx series cpus are the same chips, just higher stock clockspeeds. If I were you, would start slowly upping the multiplier and voltage of your current CPU until you reach the max stable clockspeed your motherboard can support. Otherwise, the only other option that makes sense is the Intel route.

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

I think I can handle that, however I am noticing some strange behavior with the clock speed readings in OpenHWM. Out of all 8 cores, only one is every clocked at 4018mhz, all the others are at 1406mhz. Which one is clocked at 4018mhz seems to be random, a different one each time. Only ever one at a time. Shouldn't they all be running at 4018mhz?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Sure there's a reason - not everyone is comfortable tinkering with the multiplier and voltage and 60 bucks is 60 bucks.

2step

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
CPU lasts longer in games, but inevitably still crashed. This is at 20 cpu clock ratio and 4.0ghz.

Microcenter has the 4790k on sale for $280 when bought with a new mobo, which I will need anyway so, goodbye amd

thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. I'm gonna stop messing with this thing before it explodes and I can't get my refund

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

Good plan. Those 9590's were awful.