i5 4460 or i5 6400 for 1080p gaming build?

mattyk69

Reputable
May 22, 2015
Hi Gang,

I'm about to buy a new gaming machine and I have narrowed it down to these machines:

http://i.imgur.com/K8CGS4L.jpg

I can get both for the same price and I am aware that the Skylake build is more future proof but the CPU is clocked lower. I've heard that Turbo Boost or something along those lines can increase the speed but I have no idea what that is or how it works. I'm willing to trade the 1TB of extra storage in the older i5 build if the Skylake one is indeed better for performance but I am entirely unsure and have come here for help. So essentially what are the pros/cons of each system and why? My main aim is to max most games at 1080p on a single monitor with a respectable framerate. I appreciate any replies.

Solution
Personally I would go for skylake but in both cases I would not choose those CPUs for $15 you upgrade the 4460 to 4590 which has way higher clock and for $15 you upgrade the 6400 to 6500 which again has a way higher clock. Not every application can use 4 cores and thats how turbo boost works, it turns off cores and increases the speed of the remaining cores (thus why turbo boost has higher frequency).
I have a i5 4460 and its totally fine, the only times I have had super high usage were Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 but that was the games fault due to the bugs and unoptimisation. Borderlands 2 and the pre-sequel had a few cpu usage issue but all I had to do was go into the .ini and change the projectile and corpse time outs as they were on 600 seconds for some reason which is just dum, changed them to 10 seconds.

The i5 4460 is fine and a lot cheaper than the new i5's. I love playing left for dead 2, Killing Floor 2 ultra, all the Bethesda and the Borderlands games. It certainly helps that I have a MSI GTX 970 4GB.

Personally I would go for skylake but in both cases I would not choose those CPUs for $15 you upgrade the 4460 to 4590 which has way higher clock and for $15 you upgrade the 6400 to 6500 which again has a way higher clock. Not every application can use 4 cores and thats how turbo boost works, it turns off cores and increases the speed of the remaining cores (thus why turbo boost has higher frequency).

Solution

mattyk69

Reputable
May 22, 2015
Hi,

To be honest both are prebuilt systems and I would prefer to keep it that way rather than have parts picked or assemble one myself. Budget is a strict £550. I think maybe the Skylake build is better but isn't the CPU slower even with turbo boost?

vijay_001

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Why not order parts and assemble yourself? It would save some money. Skylake build supports DDR4 memory so it will be better.