i5 4460 running at TurboBoost speed or near it constantly.

WhitePonyNZ

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hi guys!

I recently did a clean out of my PC, including reseating the CPU heatsink and replacing thermal compound, installed a new GPU and did a fresh reformat of Windows 7 last night.

I noticed this morning that in HWMonitor, my cpu clock speed for all 4 cores goes anywhere from 3192mhz, 3292mhz, and 3399mhz, but never really below that. The only time i've seen it any lower was when I opened HWMonitor as soon as I loaded into desktop. It started at 792mhz and would flactuate a bit before gradually rising to the speeds listed above.

I have SpeedStep enabled. Have always run my BIOS settings at default only thing I ever change is boot priority and disabling the integrated GPU. Have tried multiple times to reset BIOS to default, remove CMOS battery, and checked Windows power settings. I am on Balanced plan, min processor state: 5% max: 100% Cooling: Active.

In task manager my cpu usage sitting on desktop sits around 25%, in HWMonitor the utilization of each core is constantly jumping anywhere from 0% to 100%.

Could this be due to a fresh install of Windows 7 and the processor is running tasks in the background? All I have installed is Origin and BF4, MSE (auto scan is disabled), GPU drivers, Realtek drivers, and WiFi drivers, and Intel Rapid Storage.

Should also note PC runs well still, just slightly warmer and noisier when idle.

I have taken off and reseated cpu cooler about 3 times. Using CoolerMaster IC Value paste. Should also note one of my cpu cooler push pins ain't the best, could the cpu cooler not be touching 100% because of this? It appears when looking at the back of the MOBO however that all the pins are through.

System specs as follows:

CPU: Intel New Haswell Core i5-4460 3.2GHz 6MB LGA1150
Video Card: Gigabyte r9 380 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5
Ram: 8GB DDR3 ADATA 1600 Gaming Series 4x2GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA3 HDD 64M
CACHE 7200RPM
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Socket 1150,Intel B85
CHipset,
PSU: ZALMAN ZM500-GV 500WATX PSU with MEPS Ready

Thanks!

WhitePonyNZ

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Umm, so straight after posting this I just checked HWMonitor again and when I close my browser now all of a sudden it seems to be working. Could this simply just be a case of the CPU doing alot more work when the PC is first booted?

It was running on the higher clock speeds for about 40-45 mins before finally dropping down (this 40-45 mins was spent simply sitting on desktop and having HWMonitor running.

WhitePonyNZ

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

Thanks for the reply. In HWMonitor the lowest I have seen it go is 798Mhz? Sometimes all 4 cores can drop down to that.

Note that when gaming my PC performs as it always has.

WhitePonyNZ

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

Thanks for the reply. So I assume the 3.2-3.4 speeds for about 45 mins after boot up can be considered normal then?