FX-4350 vs 8350 for r9 390

Mekanikku

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Hi, some people say FX-8350 wont bottleneck 970 which is equivalent of 390 and from some tests i can say 4350 and 8350 has the same single thread performance and since games use less then 4 cores would it be the same fps in the game? I dunno. I've been plannig to build a value PC and i made up this: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/metothe/saved/#view=bhnxFT
The way I see it is it has x350 performance and 4-6-8xxx cores :p correct me please :p
Thanks. :)

Solution
Even with games that use only 4 cores, OS uses a good part of CPU for it's needs so more cores can help there. Modern Windows like W10 are good at spreading CPU load to all cores.
A good "in the middle" processor would be FX 6350 that could still give 4 cores to the games and still have couple for OS to use.
If you looked at core usage of an 8 core processor, you would never see just particular 4 cores used all the time even with a program/game that use 4 cores but the load would be spread at all available cores.
Even with games that use only 4 cores, OS uses a good part of CPU for it's needs so more cores can help there. Modern Windows like W10 are good at spreading CPU load to all cores.
A good "in the middle" processor would be FX 6350 that could still give 4 cores to the games and still have couple for OS to use.
If you looked at core usage of an 8 core processor, you would never see just particular 4 cores used all the time even with a program/game that use 4 cores but the load would be spread at all available cores.

Solution

jeffredo

Distinguished
If you're building a system from scratch I'd highly recommend going with Intel over AMD FX. There's really no reason to choose a four to five year old architecture over a new Intel offering. The price difference just isn't that great over a Skylake i3 6100 system and it can beat either one in most game scenarios while using vastly less power.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/page4.html

That may be true only in some cases and single threaded games but computer is not a game console, a computer is supposed to do many more things than just play few games and 2 cores with 2 threads are not as good as an FX 8xxx and it's multitasking abilities.