My 2 970 wont register as sli. currently at a IT shop but they have no idea its setup right but doesnt give sli option in nvid

Solution
^ Great point. @Romas I had to laugh because I didn't think to ask you your motherboard or the rest of your specs. Would you mind posting them? Also, could you include the manufacturer and model # of the power supply?

Romas86

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Oh, that's a different story. The two 2972's should be compatible with one another. When I initially saw your description, I thought one was Asus and the other EVGA. But I now realize that the Asus was in reference to the motherboard. My mistake. Yeah, those two cards should be compatible with SLI with one another. You should open a ticket with EVGA tech support: (888) 880-3842

Romas86

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Heaps of sli cables no affect...everything passed on IT scans were going to try 2 different gpu 970 both asus models 2moro to see if it's the mother board. ..trying to talk to evga

D

Deleted member 362816

Have to say EVGA won't be able to diagnose to well over the phone. They will jump to a RMA right away.

Romas86

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I have gone back to windows 7 my motherboard is a z97 killer i5 4690....1 of my friends is saying sli is old that you dont need it to say sli to max graphics.....so i still would not know if both my gpu are getting utilised....should i still keep pushing the issue cause i feel that i should have sli options to run my games

D

Deleted member 362816

If SLI is not enabled in the Nvidia control panel you are only using one card. Which makes having 2 pointless. I don't know who this friend is but I get allot better fps in my games with SLI over a single 970....

Romas86

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
So finally found out that acx 2.0 evga can have different clock speeds or different firmware bios i think the IT dude didnt check that...he just checked nvidia firmware...even though they were both 29xx they can have different clock speeds and this wont let them communicate or something on them lines....im no pc man

Romas86

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Rcald2000 is there anyway you can change both acx 2.0 to same bios cause evga ain't helping with that they are both 29 but 1 has newer firmware then the other I bought them 6 months apart

Yes, you can adjust the core and memory clock via the free utilities: MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision X. You can use either one, but don't use both at the same time, as they might conflict. EVGA Precision X can even be downloaded via Steam. I've never updated a firmware on a GPU, so I'm not sure how or if that can be done. As far as synchronizing the clock speeds, it's worth a try. Was it Nvidia who mentioned that they have to have the same speeds in order to communicate via SLI? If so, it seems strange that they wouldn't guide you to make this very simple change. Regardless, download one of those utilities and give it a shot.

king3pj

Distinguished

I don't think this is true. If two cards have different clock speeds that doesn't prevent SLI from working. Both cards just run at the clock speed of the slower card.

I have 2 EVGA SC ACX 2.0 970s in SLI. One has a boost speed of 1392MHz. The other has a boost speed of 1366MHz. When running a program where they work independent of each other like Folding@Home my two cards run at different speeds. When using SLI for gaming they both operate at the slower card's 1366MHz boost speed.

Does your motherboard have two X8 PCIe slots and list that it is SLI compatible? If it doesn't specifically say SLI compatible I don't think it will work.

Romas86

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Guys i want to murder the lads ive spent 2 days getting looked at...like i said not a pc geek....my motherboard is the issue its a z97 killer fatal1ty not a z97x 1 supports sli the 1 i have doesnt just crossfire....sorry for the confusion also the gpu still didnt pair but evga have all ready taken care of that for me....lol spent 3 hrs trying to find a z97 mb in my city