Is the i5 4460 future proof or should I just spend more money for the 4690?

Detevtive Marvel

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I'm building a PC and don't want to upgrade the cpu for a while so I want it to last, is the 4460 future proof or should I just spend more for the 4690, I'm trying to keep the total money spent low bt

Thanks

*update* - I decided to pay more for the 4690k

Solution
Unless you plan to overclock, I would simply pick whatever CPU has the lowest $/MHz between the i5-4460, 4590, 4690 and whatever other models in-between might be available. There usually is a better bang-per-buck model or two between the two non-overclockable i5 extremes.

Due to how slowly CPUs have been evolving over the past five years, any Sandy Bridge or newer i5 clocked over 3.5GHz will last most people for 5+ years.

InvalidError

Titan
Unless you plan to overclock, I would simply pick whatever CPU has the lowest $/MHz between the i5-4460, 4590, 4690 and whatever other models in-between might be available. There usually is a better bang-per-buck model or two between the two non-overclockable i5 extremes.

Due to how slowly CPUs have been evolving over the past five years, any Sandy Bridge or newer i5 clocked over 3.5GHz will last most people for 5+ years.

Solution