Best i7? (Not the $1000 kind ಠ_ಠ)

The 6700K. It's the same base clock speed as the older Haswell, and can be overclocked further to 4.8Ghz or maybe more with a really good chip (not that that does so much for gaming) and has about a 5% generational advantage over the two generation older Haswell i7 4790K.

This is the gaming answer only.

For rendering and 3D and some other applications, the answer is different.

The i7 5820K is indeed a powerful chip, but the question was

So what is the best i7 in terms of clock rate and performance. I also mean for gaming too.

The 6700K is superior for this. The 5820 will not reach 4.8Ghz, so it is not there in clock rate, nor is it there in performance, it's individual cores are less efficient than the 6700K. The only win is for throughput, and that is for other than gaming.

lyricyst2000

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Clock rate is not the only metric of performance. The argument is simple. What the 6700k does better (IPC) it does marginally better. So marginal that you cant even quantify it in gaming benchmarks.

What the 5820k does better, it does massively better. Its an i7 with another i3 strapped to its back. It has a much larger cache and a wider memory bus.

At the end of the day, the performance difference in games is so marginal that a gaming minded consumer, confronted with two equally priced builds, might as well opt for the enthusiast chipset and the additional future proofing it allows. Which is exactly what I did and what I said.

Im not going to get into the fanboy argument of one ultimate chip to rule them all, its patently retarded.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Ofcourse it is less efficient.. One is 22nm and the other is 14. The op is undecided over the sockets, so we are comparing the generally best of each.

-Physics performance, price, and all those lovely threads
-OC headroom, single core advantage and efficiency

Of course to US we understand the differences, but the OP may not know. Their question is fairly vague, and I'm not suggesting a CPU to rule them all, I'm trying to answer a vaguish question as best I can. This is not fanboy but fact in response to a specific question. The 6700K has a higher clock speed, and higher per core efficiency than Haswell-e and the efficiency alone puts it a little ahead of Haswell.

When the OP tells us what they plan to do with the system in more detail and gives us a budget, we can refine our response.

@lyricyst2000 Save the word 'retarded' engine ignition timing, it has no place in an answer here.

G

Well, if you go just by best clock rate and single core performance, then that is the Core i7 6700K.

However, the best all around Core i7 would be one of the Haswell-e processors, the Core i7 5930K or 5960X. I personally like the 5930K because of it's higher clock rate than the 5960X and added cores over the 6700K, making it very good for gaming, steaming, rendering, just about anything one would want to use their computer for. But I do believe in June Intel will be offering new Haswell-e 8, 10 and 12 core processors to replace the 5820K (6 core), 5930K (6 core) and 5960X (8 core).

So, if all you plan to do that taxes your processor is gaming, the Core i7 6700K is the best. But if you want great gaming and to be able to do everything else that would really tax your computer, then a Haswell-e processor would be the better choice. Since the i7 6700K uses a Z170 motherboard and the Haswell-e i7s use the X99 motherboards, one should give some thought to what they expect to be doing with their computer. No right or wrong answer... just choices for what one plans to do.

No. The 5930K is somewhat better than the 5820K in some situations. For a start, it can use 40 PCIe lanes whereas the 5820K can use only 28. It also comes with a higher stock clock and Turbo Boost. They both overclock about the same, although the 5930K is higher binned.

The big difference is the price. The walk-in price at MicroCenter for the 5820K is $319 ATM, that's nearly $200 cheaper then the 5930K.