Why is that 980 ti is more powerful than titan x but also cheaper?

sorrowhill9

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Can someone explain that to me? how is that a $650 card is more powerful than a $1050 card and yet cheaper? I want to upgrade my video card in when the Nvidia's next-gen Pascal GPU comes out. but i heard than the titan grade comes out first in Q2 and 980 grade comes out later in Q4. Can't wait that long. must get it now!

source from videocardbenchmark

Solution
980 ti is a cutdown chip from titanx gm 200, the reason it is faster is because there are aib variants that have better cooling, custom pcb and components, etc and are overclocked out of the box by 200-250 Mhz...This allows the TI to oc better even beyond that and with an overclock it beats titanx stock. Titanx also overclocks but just not as good as the TI because of the lack of cooling, mostly. If you put them in a water loop and oc them, they are faster than TI because they can oc better.

They really can oc pretty good too if you set a custom fan profile, they're just loud so a lot of people don't do it but a titanx with oc clock speeds around 1420-1430 is as fast as a TI OC at 1500-1520 Mhz. If the TI ran the same clock...
The Titan X come out in a market with no competition and Nvidia being Nvidia loves to gauge it's customers. The 980 Ti came out after AMD released their new cards. The 980 Ti is essentially a rebranded Titan X. The only reason they change the name from Titan X to 980 Ti is so people don't feel as stupid dropping $1k on a card that could have been had for much less.

It's not essentially a rebranded anything when it's got smms disabled just like any other lower card vs a higher one. It's just not as many compared to gaps between other cards.

Always take any synthetic with a grain of salt and especially crowd sourced samples. The titan x should outperform it in any way although not worth the extra cost because it's such a small difference.

Mike Prior

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
The Titan is theoretically a slightly better card than the Ti. Probably worth an extra £10, not a few hundred more. You'll be happy with a Ti and your friends will just think you stupid to go with the Titan.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
980 ti is a cutdown chip from titanx gm 200, the reason it is faster is because there are aib variants that have better cooling, custom pcb and components, etc and are overclocked out of the box by 200-250 Mhz...This allows the TI to oc better even beyond that and with an overclock it beats titanx stock. Titanx also overclocks but just not as good as the TI because of the lack of cooling, mostly. If you put them in a water loop and oc them, they are faster than TI because they can oc better.

They really can oc pretty good too if you set a custom fan profile, they're just loud so a lot of people don't do it but a titanx with oc clock speeds around 1420-1430 is as fast as a TI OC at 1500-1520 Mhz. If the TI ran the same clock speeds, the Titanx is faster because it is the full chip, hence why titanx is faster than a reference/stock 980ti.

Solution

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

One, it's not a rebrand. it's just a cutdown and two, it was probably brought out and priced to stick it to AMD furyx and it worked. Otherwise, there would not be a furyx at $650, it would have launched at $850 or more.

There's a smaller difference between the Titan X / 980 Ti and the R9 390 / R9 290 and people were complaining that was a rebrand. Double standards.

A cutdown that fills the exact same performance and price segment? Nice try but no.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

Ummm yeah...they weren't gonna drop the price of the titanx to fight furyx, so do the TI variant to trounce furyx in price/performance. Again, why do you think they were hush hush about it and then launched fast a month before furyx came out?

They found out at some point, estimated performance was gonna be close to titanx because furyx can hang with both at stock but gets beaten badly by the TI aib custom cards.

sorrowhill9

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
OK. thanks for those explanations. Now i think i should wait for the pascal version of 980 ti to come out ( in the late 2016 perhaps?) instead of buying a pascal version of titan x in the early 2016.

They were "hush hush" about it because two weeks after they released the Titan X at $1,000 dollars they came out with a card much cheaper that's essentially the same thing. The only difference between the Titan X and the 980 Ti is a bit of RAM and a few more processing units which in total results in an average of 6% more performance.

You seriously think Nvidia kept the Titan x at one grand because of the AIB partners? I'm sorry to say this but AMD has the same thing, thus a moot point. No, only a fool with too much money would buy a Titan X. You could go and get two R9 390x and you'd end up saving money while having better performance.

It's even funnier that the Titan X has 12 GB of RAM because it's useless in that amount. 4k games might use 8 GB in 5 years but unfortunately the Titan X doesn't even have enough horsepower to push that much vRAM. The only application in which it could have been useful, Scientific or related, was gutted out of this chip compared to previous Titan cards.

The Titan X is the biggest joke Nvidia has released and is right above the "3.5" GB of ram on the GTX 970. Buy hey, people buy it anyways because Nvidia's brand name is like the beats of the computer world.

The 390/290 is a rebrand. They are the same exact gpu, go look for yourself. There is a small clock increase and added more vram. The gap is about the same but this has nothing to do with double standards when this is a rebrand.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

I never said because of aib partners. I'm not sticking up for titanx or saying they weren't trying to maximize as much money as possible from it, by releasing the TI instead of just dropping the price down to $650 and giving people credits that bought several months before. Both AMD and Nvidia are companies that are here to ...guess what....make money.

It was because of furyx and if you believe your holier than thou AMD was going to give you titanx performance at $650 just because they are such a saintly company, you're sadly mistaken. That thing would have been $850 if nvidia didn't make sure to undercut and steal sales. Also what can also be said, is that the TI would not have been $650 if furyx didn't have performance that was going to go back and forth at reference speeds with titanx.

EDIT: I mean they did need the aib partners in on it to make sure they beat furyx, because both titanx and ti at reference levels are pretty equal to furyx but aib versions of the TI, which titanx does not have, walk all over furyx out of the box.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

You're welcome, it's tough to say what performance gain will be this year, I think amd is trying to become more efficient on this node, so performance may not be on the top of the list this year and if it's not, tough to say how much nvidia will give right away too because I think they are trying to get compute back too. This first round might not be as big as people believe but we'll see. We maybe will find out some more, especially about pascall at GDC in mid march.

Like a said, double standards

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9387/amd-radeon-300-series/3

The R9 390 uses more dense memory chips with an updated controller. It also had some of it's VRM redone and reduced power consumption.

The only difference between the Titan X and the 980 Ti is a reduced amount of RAM and some disabled cores. It's the same GPU as well, both are GM200.

It's been awhile since AMD have given an big update to their architecture so we have no idea what they are gonna do. They did say that they wanted to target power consumption. They are producing their top chips on 14nm, which is a nice advantage given that Nvidia is only doing 16nm. If AMD doesn't update their architecture with this next release then Nvidia will definitely be the one to choose.

You're getting too caught up in them being gm200. You don't say a 970 is a rebranded 980 because they aren't rebranded, they are laser cut so it's not a simple rebrand. The differences you say are with the pcb, not the gpu itself. That is what makes it a rebrand since the gpu is exactly the same. The 390/290 gpu is exactly the same.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

Pascal is new architecture with or without async no one knows yet, which is on 16nm true, but both are backend 20 nm so it's not like 14nm is gonna be so much better than 16nm just cause it's a wee bit smaller. They'll both be good no doubt and amd is changing GCN architecture to polaris, or GCN 4th gen but it's still supposed to be new. Who knows if every card will be on polaris though, there's been rumors about some with GCN still but on 14nm but there should still be a good selection of polaris from low end to high end. Hopefully they will both kick ass, which I'm sure they will so it should be a win win for everyone.

With amd focusing a lot on power consumption/efficiency and nvidia trying to add back in compute that maxwell is lacking, hopefully good gains in performance wont be sacrificed.