r9 390 vs crossfire r9 270x

Solution

270 crossfire wouldn't be that good in general let alone for VR. No doubt most of these new VR titles coming out probably won't even have proper support for Crossfire anyways. And even the non VR games today that do support Crossfire give you very little performance increase.

A 390 would smash 270 crossfire anyways I'd imagine. That 8gb of VRAM would also certainly come in handy seen how the Vive runs at a resolution of 2160 x 1200.

PatrioticPickle

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
I would say a bigger card. You could crossfire 2 270x's but most likely VR titles won't have proper support for crossfire. Not to mention most games now don't even have crossfire support and the ones that do the performance increase is minimal.
You would also have to deal with the extra heat in your case and fiddling round a bit with Catalyst/crimson to get it to work. Ive tried it with 2 Sapphire 7950's and it just isn't worth it.

Get a 390 or wait for the new Nvidia Pascal GPU's rumored to come out late this year.

What are the rest of your specs?

PatrioticPickle

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

270 crossfire wouldn't be that good in general let alone for VR. No doubt most of these new VR titles coming out probably won't even have proper support for Crossfire anyways. And even the non VR games today that do support Crossfire give you very little performance increase.

A 390 would smash 270 crossfire anyways I'd imagine. That 8gb of VRAM would also certainly come in handy seen how the Vive runs at a resolution of 2160 x 1200.

Solution