FX-8320 OC on MSI 970 Gaming Ed

dirtydan17

Honorable
May 24, 2014
As the title says, I am planning on OC'ing on my MSI 970 Gaming board and I was just wondering if that was a good idea or not.

The main thing I am worried about is power consumption. I am not sure whether my power source will be able provide power to an over clocked 8320 comfortably.

I am new to over clocking however I have read up enough where I feel ok messing with settings in the BIOS without messing things up too bad but if anyone could give me some advice before I jump into it that'd be awesome too.

FX-8320(Stock)
R9 290(Stock)
Corsair CX750M
Hyper X 1600 8GB
MSI 970 Gaming Ed MoBo
CM hyper 212(Push & Pull)

No, do not overclock. While the motherboard is just fine for overclocking, your power supply is CX Series Corsair

CX Series power supplies use low quality capacitors and are generally poor quality making them unsuitable for overclocking. A mild overclock would be fine but do not go crazy.

Thanks for posting on the forums,

Oleg.

dirtydan17

Honorable
May 24, 2014

Yea I do not plan on doing a major overclock however if you do not believe I should over clock on this PSU then I won't. Rather safe than sorry.
Though the over clock I was planning to do was maybe 4.0-4.2ghz overclock. Unless you'd consider that as a big overclock.

You gaming motherboard is fine for that.

The PSU is doubly problematic. You have a 'race car' computer with a 'tractor' PSU. (A tractor engine can be very good and deliver 600 h.p., but it is still a bad choice for a race car engine) You PSU needs to be much higher performance for even a gaming system. It also needs to be higher performance for overclocking (two strikes against it)

Gaming is going to age your PSU faster. You will need to replace it sooner rather than later and because it is a decent product, when it dies, it should do so quietly and without fuss.

So, in a sense, although Forever Oleg is completely right, I would still overclock on that PSU. It's going to go anyway, so get the most fun out of it while you can. The output will be a bit 'rougher' than overclocking would want, but you should reach your target.

Save for a replacement.

dirtydan17

Honorable
May 24, 2014

So without overclocking, my PSU is fine. But if I wanted to OC I would expect the life span of the PSU to be shortened?
If I did decide to overclock the 8320 would I want a 1000W psu? or would an 850W one do fine?

No. Your PSU is not even suitable, long term, for the gaming you are doing. OC will merely hasten it demise.

It has NOTHING to do with power, the 750W you have is plenty.
It has NOTHING to do with efficiency. Bronze, Gold, or Kyptonite would all do (I made the last one up)
It is all about the high-performance nature of the components the PSU is made from. like my example with the engine.

dirtydan17

Honorable
May 24, 2014

So basically I just need a better quality PSU period.
Well that kinda blows I just bought this like 5 months ago.
Are there any PSu's you'd recommend with a higher quality of components?

dirtydan17

Honorable
May 24, 2014

Damn mine is just set in tier 4 in this thread. That makes me sad.
I might pick up the Corsair AX 760W sometime at the end of this year.

dirtydan17

Honorable
May 24, 2014

Yea even my old budget build had was at least using a Cooler Master PSU. Never had an issue with that one either.
I assume I can stick with this PSU for at least another year? I don't really have much funding right now to pick up a new one anytime soon anyways.

dirtydan17

Honorable
May 24, 2014

Got an estimate on how long it'll last assuming I have an average up rate of about 14 hours a day?