Fx-6300 Temps very high under load

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Recently I just tested my Cpu temperature using cupid hwmonitor i found out that under load my cpu temperature is at around 72+ Celsius, this PC is 2 years old and when i had build this PC then temps would max out at 62 using prime95. i also cleaned my computer case properly but still the temps under load goes 72 +. I am on stock cooler and did not overclocked my cpu.
Is it possible for thermal paste to go bad after 2 years.
i4ecdd.jpg

Solution

I'd say so, yes. If you don't want to get a new cooler, at least change the thermal paste. That should give you lower, and safer, temps.

Eliasand

Honorable
First of all, only use AMD Overdrive for getting an accurate temp read on FX cpu's. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

Yes, it's possible for thermal paste to lose it's function over 2 years, but your best option would be to get a cheap aftermarket cooler. AMD's stock coolers tend to struggle to keep the chip cool, even at stock speeds.

The Hyper 212 EVO is probably(as always) the best option for budget cooling. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Any thermal paste used on a cpu cooler if factory pre applied or applied by your self will degrade over time through constant heat exposure. It can get to the point where it dries out and shrinks, and cracks.

You re apply thermal paste about every year or so.

But in your case I would recommend ditching your Amd stock cooler in favor of a larger after market air cooler or a AIO cpu water cooling loop as prices have dropped for a basic setup such as a corsair H60 cooling loop.

With a water cooling loop you would see cpu temps while under heavy load sit around the 40c mark.
It`s always best to try and keep a cpu as cool as you can, the more heat it is subjected to the quicker it will degrade.

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
As stated, use overdrive for thermal margins. Make sure your using the right prime 95, newer versions cause ridiculous amounts of heat and my recommendation for the after market cooler would be the cryorig h7, a step above the 212 and only a few dollars more

Ivanbass1

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
I have an fx 6300(though i am not an expert) i have had it for over 3 months now.
Try to turn off AMD Overdrive(the thing that automatically overclocks your processor) i think it's called that in bios.
As you see your max core clock is 4100mhz and the processor is clocked 3.5ghz at stock.

As i said i am no expert and this might not help much, but i think that's what did it for me.

Eliasand

Honorable

It's called CPB in BIOS, if i'm not mistaken. Core Performance Boost=CPB=Turbo Core/boost/whatever

Eliasand

Honorable

The 212 EVO has the same performace as the H60, at more than half of the cost.

Eliasand

Honorable
Then you need to get better cooling. New thermal grease might make a difference, but your best option is to get a new cooler altogether. As mentioned earlier, the 212 EVO is a good budget option, along with the H7 from Cryorig.

EDIT: Try pressing that green button in the top right corner of OVERDRIVE. The red ring should dissappear and that will disable Turbo core temporarily. Check if there's a difference in temperature.

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
It could be a thermal paste issue but you wouldn't know until you changed it or bought an aftermarket cooler, it could also be a case flow issue. I've never personally used heavy load so I don't what kind of test it is.

Eliasand

Honorable

Probably yes, since you can re-use the cooler that you buy on the new rig without issues. (as long as you don't buy AMD ZEN system, since they will be hosted by a new socket, that won't fit your cooler.)

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

i don't like to overclock any cpu so i think it would not be a wise idea to invest in a good cooler for cpu. Any chance for this cpu to last till next year with these king of temps?

Eliasand

Honorable

I'd say so, yes. If you don't want to get a new cooler, at least change the thermal paste. That should give you lower, and safer, temps.

Solution

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

one thing i just noticed that my stock fan does not go beyond 3400 rpm as far as i know amd stock fan goes to around 4500 rpms? Isn't the stock fan bearing gone bad?

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

i did that still the fan does not goes above 3300-3400, i will leave like this and wait for this processor to fail so that i can build myself a new pc.:lol:

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

check this out i just cleaned my heat sink using compressed air without removing any fan or reapplying thermal paste. Even fan speed increased marginally.
The results are amazing.
2ldc0zs.jpg

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

Check out the max value. It is after 5 mins of heavy load before i was going at 72+ in just 2-3 mins.
Yes i cleaned it before but did not noticed that heatsink was all clogged up with dust. Now after everybody's suggestions to change thermal paste i noticed so much dust inside heatsink.

TRENDING THREADS