I have an A4 6300 that is dead slow. I'm thinking of buying an A10 6800k, good idea or not?

Solution
Depending on what you are after, it is certainly an upgrade on your current dual core CPU. The new one is a quad core, and of significantly faster speed, and will be much better for you.

Kaisa_Sosa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Depending on what you are after, it is certainly an upgrade on your current dual core CPU. The new one is a quad core, and of significantly faster speed, and will be much better for you.

Solution
A A10-6800K will help, how much depends on the type of work you do.
The passmark rating of a A4-6300 is 2217 with a single thread rating of 1384.
The A10-6800K rating is 4908, primarily because of the added two threads.
But the single thread rating is 1545, not a big boost.
Most games use only 2-3 threads and depend on the performance of a fast master thread.

If you will be satisfied with that, and if you are using integrated graphics, it is probably a good upgrade.

But, if you are thinking that a upgrade down the line is likely for a dedicated graphics card or a faster cpu for gaming, you are stuck with no more reasonable upgrades for your motherboard.

kincaidws

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Thank you. Based on the increased power consumption, do you think I would see much of a rise in my energy bill? As of now, I enjoy a very low energy bill but suffer from this snail paced computer.