R9 290 crashes but only after closing games down?

AwesomeClam

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I am having a strange issue with my R9 290 and I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can help!

I am getting driver crashes but only *after* the system has been under load. I can run Furmark for absolutely ages, play demanding games for long periods (e.g. Assassins Creed Syndicate) and it's absolutely fine. After I close the application though, it'll be ok for a few seconds (long enough to sync the saves fortunately!) but then I'll start getting artifacts all over the screen, as if the GPU is failing. Sometimes Windows 10 will report a driver crash and the system will be stable enough to shut down, other times it's will just fail completely and require a hard restart.

The GPU fans are spinning to keep the system cool but I've tried a custom fan profile in MSI afterburner just to be sure. The problem doesn't *seem* to be related to overheating - the GPU is around 70 degrees at worst which is well under the supposed temperature limit for this card.

I'm guessing it's maybe a GPU memory issue? It seems to be worse with certain games - Star Wars Battlefront seems to always trigger it and it happened again this morning after I tried the Valve VR benchmark tool.

I have tried complete driver re-installation using both the AMD cleanup tool and DDU (under safe mode) but it didn't help. Checking 'force constant voltage' in MSI afterburner seems to have helped a bit - it was previously crashing after playing AC Syndicate and Dead Island but they seem to be mostly ok now.

Note that everything in the system is at stock speeds - I only use afterburner to keep an eye on temperatures and use the custom fan profile.

Might be that the GPU is failing but I can't understand why there are no problems during use, only when it's cooling down afterwards.

Any ideas?

Specs below

CPU - i5 2500k (stock but with Hyper 212 hsf)
GPU - R9 290 (can't remember the make, sorry)
PSU - Corsair AX750
Memory - 8GB
OS - Windows 10
Driver - Crimson 16.1.1

Let me know if I've missed anything important

Thanks!