780 ti's in 2-way SLI or a single 980 ti for modded Skyrim and Falout at 1080p

YouserNayme

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I have been recently reintroduced to Skyrim after I got bored with the lackluster fallout 4. With 100+ mods I am starting to stutter lose frames though open spaces and in heavily wooded areas (IE fields outside Whiterun and woods around the Rift). I have enough to get a second 780 ti or I could sell my current one to get a 980 ti or used 295x2. Would the increased VRAM / newer processing unit help or should I go for the SLI?
I.E if it helps then I have mostly HD graphics and 1k retextures but also have content plugins like Wyrmstooth and civil wars Skyrim. Only other games I'm into right now are Siege, Insurgency, BF4, and some Crysis 3 here and there.

Solution
Go with the 980ti. Main reason is the 6gb Vram. Modded content use heavy textures, so there will be frequent swapping of memory of the smaller 3gb 780ti's, affecting performance. As you know, even in sli your total vram remains the same (two 3gb cards in sli still have 3gb vram).

srimasis

Distinguished
Go with the 980ti. Main reason is the 6gb Vram. Modded content use heavy textures, so there will be frequent swapping of memory of the smaller 3gb 780ti's, affecting performance. As you know, even in sli your total vram remains the same (two 3gb cards in sli still have 3gb vram).

Solution

YouserNayme

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Thank you :) Is the 980ti better for that than the 295x2 or should I stick with the newer architecture?

srimasis

Distinguished

295x2 is actually faster than 980ti, but again you only get 4gb of usable vram. Unlike 980ti, 295x2 is very power hungry (450 watts vs 250 watts). I would choose 980ti over 295x2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbZYas_BTlE