Is a 7870 good enough to run Dark Souls 3?

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Hey all,

I am purchasing a new system, and was thinking of keeping my MSI AMD Radeon HD 7870 until nVidia Pascal comes out. When that comes out, i'll then jump up to a beefier graphics card. The main thing I want to do is play/stream Dark Souls 3 on decent 1080p settings.

However... I just checked the minimum specs for Dark Souls 3...

"MINIMUM:
OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500 3.1 GHz / AMD® A8 3870 3,6 Ghz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 465 / ATI Radeon TM HD 6870"

I will have a i7-5820K, with 8GB RAM. I am worried that I am too close to the 'minimum' requirement and won't be able to play it on anything but the most basic shit looking settings on 720p.

Thoughts? I've never overclocked, but can I overclock the shit out of it to last? Or will I just break it?

Solution

You always hear that, but I'm not sure to what extent it's true. Especially now that consoles are using hardware that's nearly the same as commercial PC parts, rather than the more custom stuff they used in the past.

Also, I looked and it turns out that the 7870 is theoretically ~40% more powerful than the PS4's GPU (just based on raw processing power), so that should be more than enough to make up for any potential differences in optimization.

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Oh really!? Wow, I never knew that! Thanks for the info :)

However, aren't games more efficiently run on consoles than on PCs?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

You always hear that, but I'm not sure to what extent it's true. Especially now that consoles are using hardware that's nearly the same as commercial PC parts, rather than the more custom stuff they used in the past.

Also, I looked and it turns out that the 7870 is theoretically ~40% more powerful than the PS4's GPU (just based on raw processing power), so that should be more than enough to make up for any potential differences in optimization.

Solution

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I was planning on OCing it, but unfortunately for some odd reason, one of the fans on my 7870 is broken :( so I don't feel confident to overclock it. It hits 75/80 degrees on starcraft 2... Not sure if I should get a GTX 960 and RMA the card or just leave it. Warranty runs out this June...

Hmm

SPgamer007

Honorable
Don't be lazy and RMA it,i had a similar situation,my headphone got broke and warranty runs out this august,even though i had the money for a new headset and was little lazy ,i chose to replace it instead at the end,worth it. You should wait a little for new GPU instead,if you thinking of buying a GPU..worth waiting.

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Yea I RMA'ed it and got my money back, but also got to keep the card :D (I LOVE YOU AMAZON!)

So just using it until I decide which new one to buy. It hits 90 degrees with overwatch so I definitely need a new one... But not sure what to get. GTX 1080 has been confirmed to not be THAT good so a bit lost atm haha