I5 3340 vs 3570k vs 4460

Fady__gamil

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I have an i5 3340 and i know that that the 3570k and 4460 is better in performance but i want to ask a question. Is there a big difference between the the three CPUs ??? And if i have one of the two other processors (4460 or 3570k)will the games perform faster or they will be the same???
and anyone tell me if my CPU is a good CPU or not and will be good when i play the upcoming games???
My PC:
I5 3340,3.1 GHz
GTX 960 WIMDFORCE 2X OC 2 GB
RAM:8 GB

Solution

My personal recommendation is the i5 3570K. You won't have to switch motherboards, and even though you don't plan on overclocking now, down the road if you need a boost in performance you always have the option to overclock if you have the i5-3570K. Really it is the best upgrade that you can make at the best value (because you don't have to switch motherboards).
Intel generations haven't been leaping ahead by huge margins so even thou the best processor you listed is the 4460 I would personally opt for the i5 3570K. The i5-3570K can be overclocked to surpass the performance levels of the i5 4460 and you should be able to get one cheaper than the i5 4460.

Really in game performance your not going to notice much of a difference between these processors except in a few extremely CPU intensive games ie GTA V and Fallout 4 ect. I think the best value of the ones listed is the i5 3570K and overclock it past the performance levels of the i5 4460. That would give you the best noticeable in game performance.

^this. Single thread performance and clock rate plays a massive part still

Personal findings going from 3450 at 3.7ghz to 3570 at 4.4:

Fallout 4 min fps was 40 now 49
Far cry 4 average was 55 now 64
Just cause 3 min was 41 now 51

All same settings all same bench runs as close as possible. You may see less as the 960 is nowhere near as powerful as a 390 but these newer games are needing some serious cpu power.

1) i5-4460 needs a new motherboard and copy of Windows so that's not practical.

2) The i5-3570K will benefit some of your games for sure as said above. I'd have to look up actual "CPU Scaling" benchmarks to see by how much.

3) Some games will be more CPU bottlenecked and some more GPU bottlenecked (often switches in the same game too). I say this because saving up for a better GPU may be a better upgrade path for you.

Perhaps a future NVidia Pascal card in 2017 then sell your GTX960.

Example of minimal CPU bottlenecked game:
Tomb Raider

Example of very CPU bottlenecked game:
Starcraft 2 (can only use two cores, and even my i7-3770K is bottlenecked when battles get larger)*

*My i7-3770K is at 4.2GHz. Your i5 is at 3.3GHz. So I'm as much as 27% faster (ignore the hyperthreading of the i7)

(If the real-world, best benefit is only 20% such as 40FPS vs 48FPS I don't think it's really worth upgrading. You can get SIMILAR visual quality by tweaking a few settings to achieve your FPS goal.)

Other:
DX12 games in theory can use less CPU processing power. In reality it will depend on how well they are optimized but most may remove almost all CPU bottleneck from your current system.

My recommended upgrade path:

1. Keep current, but learn how to tweak better if need be (i.e. use Adaptive VSYNC in some cases)
2. NVidia Pascal in 2017?
3. GSync 1440p monitor (2018?)

Fady__gamil

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I don't need to overclock my CPU because i get with those specs. 60FPS in farcry 4,fallout 4,GTA V,Assassins creed syndicate and black ops 3,but if i will not notice the difference between them i will stay with my PC without upgrading.as you say all of you i won't notice the difference in speed between them(4460,3570k not overclocked)right???

My personal recommendation is the i5 3570K. You won't have to switch motherboards, and even though you don't plan on overclocking now, down the road if you need a boost in performance you always have the option to overclock if you have the i5-3570K. Really it is the best upgrade that you can make at the best value (because you don't have to switch motherboards).

Solution
Agree with everyone else...3570k and boost the clocks. Its not just about fps numbers..it improves playability. I can tell you now jumping from 3.7 to 4.4 has genuinely made a difference. Far cry 4 is a good example. It only uses 3 cores so normally id hover around 60% cpu or 70 in villages which would tank the fps. Now it's around 45% and fps maintains 60 wherever.